Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bell 206 Dash mounted anything

IFlySometime

For mounting anything as a Minor mod to the top of the dash on the 206 under Cars 571 appendix A, what do you do for the question that asks "does it affect the flight-crew's visibility or their ability to control the aircraft?"

Some TC inspectors argue that anything mounted there affects visibility. I've seen pictures of some monster ipad/gps installs. So has anyone ever discussed this with TC?

Seems subjective and up to the person installing to decide.

Thanks

We had to remove all the unapproved ball mounts at one  point but there are other legally mounted stc's that use the space.

Just velcro it up there i guess?

I'm a big believer in getting approvals for in dash and other fixed items you need.  However, that can be cost prohibitive.

As far as restricting vision, yes, a very small portion.  It doesnt mean that they wont allow it but you'd be better off to query your local inspector.

On 12/16/2018 at 4:43 PM, Heliian said:

As far as restricting vision, yes, a very small portion.  It doesn't mean that they won't allow it but you'd be better off to query your local inspector.

There is no restrictions on a pilot being 5 feet tall, you still can't see over the instrument consul on a 206B. Should you happen to get a remark or whatever from an inspector, tell him to put it in writing and justify it.

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Is it really cost-prohibitive to properly attach something if you want it above/beside the glareshield?  

A mount doesn't have to be big or heavy, but I'd rather it's not going to come loose in a hard landing.

If you keep it low on the console it doesn't affect vision either.  Depends on what you're mounting, of course, if you want it there or not.  If you haven't talked to a licensed mechanic about your placement and mounting, you won't really know if you have a good idea or a projectile.

• 2 weeks later...

You just need an engineer who won't lose his mind with it.  Get it done with a ruler and a pull-scale. 

I put some stock in being sure it's OK, but (full disclosure) I'm the one who does the approving.

In the past, I was fine with an annotated photo and a pull-test before getting the certificate.  Who's put you through the ringer on that?