Who's worked the L1

WCO

Members here with significant time on the L1 in utility work? What did you think of it? Never flown one though they show up well priced fairly frequently, could be worrisome, could be a decent opportunity. Yes we'd rather an L3, L4, B2, 407, B3, but they're priced differently, would like to focus on how the L1 fares here rather than scale up the conversation. :)

Is it true most operational L1s weigh about 2200lbs? Should be able to move in the neighbourhood of 1500lbs on the hook at 50% fuel with a 200lb pilot? Any weak points?

There's always the inevitable question of what will you be doing, answer is as usual everything, general utility from sea level to 7,500' that the machine can safely accept. Appreciate thoughts from those with L1 seat meat time.

What Trex said...c28 will temp out working heavy at 25C. I have heard that you can't find parts for a C28 engine anymore or even get it O/H. I would check that out first! It will do what an L3 will at lower temps. Some of  the ones that I flew had their Bled valves removed and could not go above 3000 ft . This was done to help the temping out problems. 2200 empty would be stretching it...2300 was commom. L3 and L4 usually around 2600. The L4 will make an L3 look sick.

CCF00172006_00005 (3).jpg

• Thanks 2

Really appreciate the replies thank you, I'd been looking into the C28 and I could find little on it that was current and that explains everything. I'm presuming the C30 is more than a different compressor, it's never that simple. I'm going to hazard a guess some of those well priced L1s I've been seeing are C28 powered, makes sense. 

• Like 1

That's the ship I flew to SA. Lots of spray time on her.If you want an L you should get an L4. The high altitude tailrotor would be a good choice as well . At full gross weight coming off an elevated truck pad on a hot day,low altitude you will run out of left pedal.

CCF00172006_00007 (2).jpg

• Like 1