Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Lightest, Smallest Helmet 2019

WCO

I've flown the last year without my ten year old SPH5, it probably could have gone another ten but had an inadvertent rain mishap in Prince Rupert, I've wanted something smaller and lighter for awhile anyhow so it's a blessing in disguise. Been wearing a Bose A20 ANR headset and frankly it's been fantastic. I have a long neck and torso, and get frequent neck strains long lining, so I'm after the lightest and smallest helmet on the market this time, ideally to fit with Bose comms. Cost really isn't an issue this time around as if I actually end up wearing it, it's more than paying for itself. I'll likely go single internal visor for clearance, and weight.

On my radar right now,

-Northwall LMT if it's still a thing.

-MSA LH 50 (not sure if Bose can be applied)

What else should I consider, and where to buy it from in Canada?

Cheers and thanks. 

When I was looking a couple of years ago i found that the posted weight and the actual was very different, the older alpha 200 is still the lightest with comms, but way to big profile for a long fellow like me, I elected to take a chance on the northwall, and I am very very happy, its a fairly snug fit to get it on and off due to the jaw protector, but I found my way.

It is very light and very low profile even with 2 internal visors, so for longlining out of it is really no issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had 2 Gentex sph5...bought a newer style Gentex with the flat sides...can't remember the model but it weighs about half as much as the old ones. Got it from a company in Kitchener Ontario. Very quick and good service. Think they are Kitchener Aero.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Found that with the weight specs too, MSA lists shell weights pre-padding and comms. A little like weighing your car without the interior, windows, and electrics. Makes for a neat number but not sure what it means in the end. 

Good to hear on the Northwall. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WCO said:

Found that with the weight specs too, MSA lists shell weights pre-padding and comms. A little like weighing your car without the interior, windows, and electrics. Makes for a neat number but not sure what it means in the end. 

Good to hear on the Northwall. 

I was 5-6 years without a lid.  Finally got a 050.  I do extensive longlining in Astar and 500, and I couldn’t be happier.  I’m 46, with all the associated 500 neck stuff.  Seems to not run very much on the A Star window to.

It did take a bit to get fitted properly over the phone but the retailer was more than accommodating. 

One thing to keep in mind is that they are designed to use the visor all the time.  So if you are visor up, with windows open/door off it’s a little louder. It’s just the way the visor fits along the Corners by your eyes. Mind you I have just the hush kit.  Pretty straight forward lid. 

But it fits really nice, and I don’t notice it.  

• Like 1

Cant say enough about the Northwall. 

Low profile. Im 6'2 and great for long lining in Astar , 500 etc. Dual visors internal.

Not sure if you can fit Bose but may come with a factory ANR?

Had an 050 before that but wouldn't go anything apart from Northwall now!

• Thanks 1

First fellow I’ve heard from who’s tried both the Northwall and 050, that’s very helpful information. Would love to pick your brain a tad on the specific preferences about the Northwall, as those two lids are the only ones on my short list. 

52 minutes ago, WCO said:

First fellow I’ve heard from who’s tried both the Northwall and 050, that’s very helpful information. Would love to pick your brain a tad on the specific preferences about the Northwall, as those two lids are the only ones on my short list. 

No problem. Shoot me a PM if you like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2019 at 7:31 AM, Hanging Out said:

HGU-84 single bungee visor with Lightspeed ANR. 800hrs + a year looking straight down at the line and no neck pains. Lightest combo you’ll find. Trust me. 

I have the same set up, but with the non bungee single visor. Having used the Gallet and an Alpha Eagle, I like the HGU-84 best. Installing the Lightspeed ANR was long overdue. It’s amazing. 

• Like 1