Lightest, Smallest Helmet 2019

WCO

Last year I upgraded my 22 year old SPH5 to an ASPIDA with lightspeed ANR fitted. I bought the carbon fibre model & took all of the visor assembly off so I could fit a peak(found a motorbike helmet peak which fits great). I love the ANR, I don’t know how I went so long without it & the helmet is so light I don’t even notice that I’m wearing it. 

Im not sure where you’d buy one in Canada, check them out here - paracletelifesupport.com

• 10 months later...
On 2/20/2019 at 9:23 PM, Bee3 said:

No problem. Shoot me a PM if you like.

On 2/20/2019 at 8:29 PM, WCO said:

First fellow I’ve heard from who’s tried both the Northwall and 050, that’s very helpful information. Would love to pick your brain a tad on the specific preferences about the Northwall, as those two lids are the only ones on my short list. 

Hello Bee3 and WCO,
Very interesting conversation as I also have the 050 and the Northwall on my shortlist.

Would you mind sharing with us a bit of your backstage talks?
For example Bee3, did you have ANR on your 050 and do you miss it with the Northwall? Which one was giving you the most head space during longline operations in the astar?
WCO what did you finally end up choosing, and why?

Thanks guys.

Hey Jeremy,

No I don't run ANR so can't comment on that.

I Liked the 050 but the Northwall is better as you have two internal visors and also a lower profile than the 050.

Im 6' 2 and the spend my days looking down the hole in the Astar.

I wouldn't buy another Helmet after having a Northwall!

LH 250 is a good helmet too, I'm not to bothered long lining with it in an Astar with the outer visor. However, if you have a big melon the ear cups using the light speed as an ANR option don't leave you much adjustment. Although my head may look pretty rough its relatively normal sized and I'm down to one velcro pad in the ear cup position adjustment if my head was any bigger and I couldn't use it.

Saw someone mention Paraclet up here somewhere, my recommendation is to RUN AWAY!

We got a few for our NVG Program and they are poor copies of Gentex SPH=5s with a ****** liner that does not fit a head at all. out of 4 helmets and 8 crew guys 1 wears the Paraclet, with little issues, 1 with migraine issues, everyone else got their own. I'd rather weatr my heavy old SPH-5 that the Paraclet garbage...

Something to add to this, if you have any thoughts of working in the US on forestry down there at any point, the DOI are in the process of re-doing their list of approved helmets. 

Merit apparel are going through the testing process (at their own expense) to make sure the Gallet helmets will be all approved, but I'd be surprised if Northwall or any of the smaller companies will go to the same expense. It's essentially a big fight with Gentex, who currently supply all the helmets for the military. They've been trash talking everyone else and moving the goalposts regarding certification. 

Just something to throw into the mix regarding your future purchase. 

I use a LH250 with the outer visor removed, so essentially a 050. It's great. 

EDIT: Typo

Edited by Tee4
Typo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Appreciate the heads up, to update I’m still running the SPH5 but pulled my visors off as they were in the way in the Astar on the line. So sunglassing it until I pony up on likely an LH050 with ANR. If I can find a fabric cover / bungee visor setup that works may interim that to lope along with my old helmet another few years.

What I really want is to find a nice 100hr used LH050, as I’m Scottish and the prices of new helmets cause me to consume expensive quantities of whiskey. 

Maybe aim for an LH250 because they're a lot easier to source second hand and also easier to sell down the track. Just remove the outer visor and cover and it's basically an LH050 with the option of going back to dual visor should you want to. 

Merit occasionally have second hand helmets in stock too so might be worth getting in touch with Rob Hamers and seeing what he's got. Super friendly guy that has amazing after-sales support. I got a killer deal on an LH250 with no outer visor. 

• Like 1