Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Lightest, Smallest Helmet 2019

WCO

On 1/19/2020 at 8:32 PM, Tee4 said:

Something to add to this, if you have any thoughts of working in the US on forestry down there at any point, the DOI are in the process of re-doing their list of approved helmets. 

It's essentially a big fight with Gentex, who currently supply all the helmets for the military. They've been trash talking everyone else and moving the goalposts regarding certification. 

Just wanted to say something on this. The standards that the USFS use are actually straight out of the US Army manuals, and these numbers are what Gentex helmets are based on. So whilst it may be true that gentex is shouting loudly, the US Army set the limits for what helmets are approved and which aren't. I personally find it funny that the french air force is going away from Gallet helmets in helicopters, and using the Alpha series instead, which seem to have been purchased by Gentex...

Anyway, for my work, involving NVG's the SPH-5 is good, the Alpha Eagle is superb and the Gallet is also good. Too bad the Eagle is so much money...

Cheers

H.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a pretty large head, just dropped over $4I on a HGU 84 and I'm struggling. I went with the XL wide and whilst the interior of the shell is good for size, the opening at the narrow point of the chin is so tight it's jamming in on my jaw line.... any recommendations for a larger lid?