Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The original "ORANGE"?

Bottom line Heliian, is i have an opinion, it's mine and you have your's. you wont convince me to think that Ornge is perfect as they are. they are not. I wont convince you they need to be changed. You seem to like the whole scenario as is.

But if you want to call me stupid and lower your standards and be one of those guys, go right ahead. I wont let my feeling get hurt, I'm alot more confident in myself then you think.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GrayHorizons said:

Bottom line Heliian, is i have an opinion, it's mine and you have your's. you wont convince me to think that Ornge is perfect as they are. they are not. I wont convince you they need to be changed. You seem to like the whole scenario as is.

But if you want to call me stupid and lower your standards and be one of those guys, go right ahead. I wont let my feeling get hurt, I'm alot more confident in myself then you think.

I wouldn't sink that low, I said you weren't comprehending the scenarios.  Now as far as the weather, it's different every day, everywhere.  Sure there's the occasional storm that shuts the province down but it's not that regular.  In your world, we would be using single pilot ifr jetrangers to haul a patient maybe a medic too.  Just forget about the single pilot idea, it's not happening.  It's not how the system works.  The patients being transported by ornge are mostly critically ill and require constant care and equipment.  You also need to remember that there is a human element to ornge too, the hard working front line staff.  

I'm not here to change your mind, I'm just here to clarify some of the misinformation being delivered by various sources.  

2 hours ago, GrayHorizons said:

Ornge got new ground ambulances because they turned a profit and had to spend the money somehow.

DSC01038_8x6_2.jpg

Smart-***, are you trying to replace to the ground ambulances just because I recommended Chinooks as airborne ER's.

You should also be aware that "ORNGE" is a non-profit entity, so the TAXPAYER is the next goto for bucks. Don't worry, it's only a small increase of x% of the overall budget of x% of the budget of MOH. The X% value indicates that money has no value, just do whatever you want and the taxpayer is OK with that analogy, that's why they get paid the big bucks, more so than the equivalent nonunionized workers in the private sector doing the same job on a competitive basis.

I don't believe in unions within the government as all they provide is a way to hold the public hostage, there should be a way that the public (taxpayer) who pays their salaries, should also be able to go on strike and quit paying taxes, as we don't seem to be able to get thru all the corruption that is going on with any political party that we elect. 

20 hours ago, Blackmac said:

that's why they get paid the big bucks, more so than the equivalent nonunionized workers in the private sector doing the same job on a competitive basis.

Speaking from experience, as a front line worker, my earning potential in the private industry was much higher than in government. Public sector wages also fall behind inflation. Historically we average about 1.5. Currently we are looking at getting 0% over the next two years.  So every year inflation goes up I get a pay cut. Also, in the private industry I had the ability to negotiate my salary based on my skill and demand. In public I have to be ok with that the taxpayer (Treasury Board) is willing to pay. From my point of view our union is largely powerless as far as compensation in concerned. 

We have people turning down jobs because the pay isn’t enough. I reject your notion that the frontline AMEs and pilots are paid more than their private sector equivalents. 

Why don’t I go back to private? Quality of life is greatly improved. You can’t put a $$ value on that. 

• Like 2

On 2/27/2019 at 1:08 PM, Blackmac said:

The AW139 on wheels can't land off the road in winter (snow) or the summer (high grass) and will only get worse when the NEW powered stretcher is installed, it is so heavy that it has to be motorized. Just imagine trying to carry one of those things. The EMT's with trucks can load with two people doing the job.

The whole medical system is so screwed, by incompetent people, it's a wonder that more people don't die. 

If a proper analysis was done in conjunction with the actual medical branch and transportation department and not people trying to build up their own empire, privatizing the whole the aviation branches of Orange, HydroOne, and OMNR.

The Government Procurement Department should be investigated by the Ontario Provincial Police, for bribery and accepting paid holidays to France.

If you don't believe me, ask the manufacturers

What about the new revelation involving THE PHARMACIES AND OHIP.

When the **** is the government going to get it's act together.??????

You couldn’t be more out of touch with reality if you tried. There must be hundreds of photos of Ornge AW139s landing in snow, on rocks, islands, docks, long grass, short grass, green grass and gravel all over social media. Ask your Grandkids to show you. 

Every land EMS service in Ontario except for 2, uses the same stretcher that will soon be installed in the Ornge fleet. Com-pat-a-ble. It’s powered so that it can lift a 500lb patient on its own and help prevent back injuries. Have you tied lifting many 500lb people into an aircraft on an icy surface? It’s difficult and dangerous for 6 people to do it. With the new stretcher, you can do all the lifting by pushing a button.

As for single pilot Commercial IFR... are you aware of the CAR’s? Have you read them? Have you been following the accident rate of the HEMS industry in the US? It’s really not a model we want to emulate here in Canada.

It might be worth reflecting on how out of touch you are with 2019.

And Winnie.. Ditto on paragraph 1 minus the grandkids.

On 2/28/2019 at 6:16 AM, GrayHorizons said:

you should dot a map with 200km radius circles. We will go with really short range of 400km (return to base) rather than the almost 700km range published, just to humor your statement. Why is the 139 the only option for range? when range is a non issue for the bulk of the flights?

put a circle at london, toronto, peterborough and ottawa (bases they already have)  and see how mucha rated, 2 pilot, 2 patient, 2 paramedic equipped aircraft can cover.

at 1/4 the cost of a 139, we could put two aircraft at every location and still be lower per hour on the variable costs, or spread them out to better cover the ontario landscape. I feel the service is better served with more for less. It needs an overhaul. its not OK running as it is.

Just my opinion still....

You’re confusing opinion with facts, which you’re short on. In my opinion. 

you could always offer the facts, or the correction of the things I get wrong. That is if you know them. I'm not an arrogant *** who thinks my opinion is the only one out there.

Opinions are based an what a person knows at the time. and surprisingly enough are always debatable. So go ahead, I'll wait.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2019 at 8:55 AM, Three_Per said:

We have people turning down jobs because the pay isn’t enough. I reject your notion that the frontline AMEs and pilots are paid more than their private sector equivalents.  Add at least 15% to the cost of benifits.

Why don’t I go back to private? Quality of life is greatly improved. You can’t put a $$ value on that.

You just did, and were do you get this FRONTLINE BS, we are not in a war zone.

AIN Webinar: Safe and Efficient Single-pilot Operations.  This for OUTBOUND BACON on a go around. 

Technology and a shortage of pilots to fill the flight decks of tomorrow’s business jets and airliners are creating pressure to facilitate more single-pilot operations. Avionics manufacturers are developing technology for safe single-pilot operations, but pilots have been flying alone safely in light aircraft through Part 23 jets for many years. Learn about factors that are causing the flying landscape to shift toward more single-pilot operations, what kind of automation avionics manufacturers are developing for single-pilot operations and what we can learn from experienced pilots flying in single-pilot operations.

Join AIN editor-in-chief Matt Thurber on April 24 at 1:30 p.m. EDT as he moderates the discussion with Tal Golan, manager, rotorcraft business development for Universal Avionics, and Charlie Precourt, former NASA astronaut, safety expert, and Citation owner. Sponsored by Universal Avionics.

CARS can be changed and will be changed, unless rocket man acts as cojo on every flight.

SOME DAY THE POLOTICIANS CREDO WILL CHANGE FROM:

ME FIRST, PARTY SECOND, AND LAST, THE VOTERS OR TAXPAYERS, WITHOUT WHOM, THEY WOULD BE ON THE STREET.

Maybe some of you should quit reading or watching Marvel and face reality.

SOME PEOPLE BELIEVE THEY ARE KNOW IT ALL'S, BUT THE ONLY THING I AM TRYING TO DO IS PASS ON ACTUAL INFO THAT I AM AWARE OF,  BETWEEN READING AND A FEW YEARS EXPERIENCE THAT I HAVE. ENJOY IT OR DON'T READ IT.