Sign in to follow this  
Toughtimes

Hard to find guys

I see it’s getting harder and harder to find good people. Looking at companies who post every month looking for pilots and engineers maybe it’s time all us pilots and engineers get together and start demanding what we are really worth.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, R0T0R said:

Good luck with that. Operators seem to want to park their machine rather than pay better. 

Well that’s true but you can only park machines for so long before the bills start adding up and the phone stops ringing because you have said no to jobs enough times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

People need to invest in the companies and the companies need to invest in the people. In the past I have worked for some terrible companies, outside of the helicopter industry, and I have put a lot of my own hard work and dedication into helping make the company better and I was rewarded for my efforts. This is not always the case, because I have also had my dedication taken advantage of, at least at the end of the day I have always been able to walk away and say that I did a good job.

Before you ask for big money, you better be able to sell it.  Do you add value?  Do you make the owners life easier?   Don't just agree to terms if your not happy!.  Don't sign anything without reading and understanding it.  Contracts have consequences!! and are not written in stone, you can negotiate them.  You may not be as valuable as you think, ask your yourself how can you can change that.

Good people have always been hard to find and quality comes at a cost.  There are lots of ****** employees too, it does go both ways.  

Negotiate hard and don't take the first offer.  

And why not....

Here's my list of why some companies may have trouble finding staff.  Hopefully my words will help them change their foolish ways.

-Under appreciate / pay full time staff until they leave.

-Bad pay / long tours.  Have special flight pay, thats impossible to ever collect. 

-No guarantees, but claim their always busy, so don't worry. 

-Silly employment contracts, wanting employees to sign away rights. But don't worry we would never do whats in the contract

-Don't want employees, only contractors. Who they can sue if anything goes south. Would never try and do that though....honest, just standard stuff

-Bonds for PPCs, Bonds for endorsements.

-Have old worn out ops manager/owner/CP stuck in the dark ages, same goes for aircraft. 

-Bad reputation.  That means you have to pay more...learn from the past.

-Company credit cards never have any funds available. 

-Require pilots to loan the company money for jet fuel and other operating expenses. Interest on short term loans will never be paid so don't even ask.  

-CARs/MCM is just an operational suggestion when busy. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

How many guys out there are just fed up with being away from home and have found the luster of flying isn't quite what the brochure said it would be? I'm taking this season off myself. Maybe I'll get the itch again but after 15 years of flying it's no longer a privilege to fly your machine. I know the usuals will pipe up and say the usual but to each his own.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There are some operators out there who have seen the writing on the walls and are implementing, or quickly moving towards 2/2 shifts. I find the 2/2 to be completely refreshing and I'm actually excited to start a shift, and not grouchy by the end of a shift.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bif said:

There are some operators out there who have seen the writing on the walls and are implementing, or quickly moving towards 2/2 shifts. I find the 2/2 to be completely refreshing and I'm actually excited to start a shift, and not grouchy by the end of a shift.

I couldn't agree more, It's the perfect balance and everyone is happy.

2 hours ago, freck said:

How many guys out there are just fed up with being away from home and have found the luster of flying isn't quite what the brochure said it would be? I'm taking this season off myself. Maybe I'll get the itch again but after 15 years of flying it's no longer a privilege to fly your machine. I know the usuals will pipe up and say the usual but to each his own.

I agree 100% flying has lost its luster and I’m tired of hearing “back in my day we’d leave in May and come back in October” we’ll thats why you’re all divorced and your kids hate you! Times have changed and work life/balance needs to be in the forefront of the operators mind now.  But like freak said the usual people will pipe up and I’m sure someone will reply about being privileged or some other BS like that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3