Sign in to follow this  
Toughtimes

Hard to find guys

1 minute ago, pilot83 said:

I agree 100% flying has lost its luster and I’m tired of hearing “back in my day we’d leave in May and come back in October” we’ll thats why you’re all divorced and your kids hate you! Times have changed and work life/balance needs to be in the forefront of the operators mind now.  But like freak said the usual people will pipe up and I’m sure someone will reply about being privileged or some other BS like that.

Couldn’t agree more.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, pilot83 said:

I agree 100% flying has lost its luster and I’m tired of hearing “back in my day we’d leave in May and come back in October” we’ll thats why you’re all divorced and your kids hate you! Times have changed and work life/balance needs to be in the forefront of the operators mind now.  But like freak said the usual people will pipe up and I’m sure someone will reply about being privileged or some other BS like that.

Misery loves company

Perhaps when the love is gone it is time to move on, either to another industry or something closer to home. Myself I have never made my career choices based on money, the money is just a tool, and if used incorrectly can lead to a pit of despair. I have noticed many people fall into the trap of "if I was compensated for my crap" mentality and it never ends well. It normally ends with the never enough thought pattern. Honestly at that point I think its time to reassess where and what you are doing. Money doesnt solve problems of happiness it only amplifies them. In my experience at times like this you must look for and find what is going to make things better.
If you are working away too much, then perhaps attempt to negotiate a better work schedule, and if that doesnt work than perhaps its time to find a job that will suit yours and your family's needs. And one thing I know with 100% certainty is there is no perfect job. However if done correctly a balance can be found.
Now that all being said I am very new to the Helicopter industry. I am currently searching for where I am going to work and how that life is going to look. However I do come from another industry that is also very difficult on families and takes advantage of hard working people, thats the trucking industry. I recently sold my company to pursue my passion for helicopters. I understand it will be very hard on my personal life and relationships, but I am hopeful. After 15 years in the trucking industry I learned a lot of lessons about work-life balance. I worked for companies that would work a guy to end of the string. Kept myself and my coworkers away from my friends and family, In the end I started my own company to better dictate my own life. However even the fact that I was able to work locally and "run my own show" so to speak, there were still challenges that I had to work through. Thats life!
Pursue your dreams, and find ways to create happiness within your dreams. Never make it about the money.

Thanks for listening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrokenTools said:

Perhaps when the love is gone it is time to move on, either to another industry or something closer to home. Myself I have never made my career choices based on money, the money is just a tool, and if used incorrectly can lead to a pit of despair. I have noticed many people fall into the trap of "if I was compensated for my crap" mentality and it never ends well. It normally ends with the never enough thought pattern. Honestly at that point I think its time to reassess where and what you are doing. Money doesnt solve problems of happiness it only amplifies them. In my experience at times like this you must look for and find what is going to make things better.
If you are working away too much, then perhaps attempt to negotiate a better work schedule, and if that doesnt work than perhaps its time to find a job that will suit yours and your family's needs. And one thing I know with 100% certainty is there is no perfect job. However if done correctly a balance can be found.
Now that all being said I am very new to the Helicopter industry. I am currently searching for where I am going to work and how that life is going to look. However I do come from another industry that is also very difficult on families and takes advantage of hard working people, thats the trucking industry. I recently sold my company to pursue my passion for helicopters. I understand it will be very hard on my personal life and relationships, but I am hopeful. After 15 years in the trucking industry I learned a lot of lessons about work-life balance. I worked for companies that would work a guy to end of the string. Kept myself and my coworkers away from my friends and family, In the end I started my own company to better dictate my own life. However even the fact that I was able to work locally and "run my own show" so to speak, there were still challenges that I had to work through. Thats life!
Pursue your dreams, and find ways to create happiness within your dreams. Never make it about the money.

Thanks for listening.

If only life was that simple for everyone...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, R0T0R said:

If only life was that simple for everyone...

You are quite right, but sometimes we tend to over complicate what our needs are. I am very thankful to have incredibly supportive people in my life. Thankfully I do not have a huge debt load over my head, that is probably how I am able to keep it simple. A life away from family causes incredible stress, however I do believe that it is possible to find the balance. In my personal experience once you have an excellent reputation within any industry I believe it is much easier to direct where it will take you. Sometimes that means uprooting your life and relocating and other times opportunities can be created very close to home. Either option will require careful consideration and sacrifice. The goal should be happiness for you your family and friends.

Well I will make this short and not so sweet. I did the good old days summer in the bush tours. Followed by the winters in the bush!  I spent more time in the bush then at home...but that was the way  it was..Seems like times may be a changing...for me anyways. If the cash and tours aint good ...I am sitting at home. All the best guys.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, robottxt said:

Misery? Not at all I'm just happy to know I'm in charge of my life and not some company. It feels pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, freck said:

And bam there he is. We must be miserable cuz we don't agree with what we perceive to be your stupidity.

Hahaha yup I guess so. 

4 minutes ago, pilot83 said:

Hahaha yup I guess so. 

I changed it cuz I thought that was a little harsh. 😁. You made great points robotxt but to think misery has anything to do with it you're wrong. Not for one second will I miss this industry.  Ask me in a year or so and I may owes  you an apology but the way I feel right now?! I'm good.

1 hour ago, BrokenTools said:

You are quite right, but sometimes we tend to over complicate what our needs are. I am very thankful to have incredibly supportive people in my life. Thankfully I do not have a huge debt load over my head, that is probably how I am able to keep it simple. A life away from family causes incredible stress, however I do believe that it is possible to find the balance. In my personal experience once you have an excellent reputation within any industry I believe it is much easier to direct where it will take you. Sometimes that means uprooting your life and relocating and other times opportunities can be created very close to home. Either option will require careful consideration and sacrifice. The goal should be happiness for you your family and friends.

Good luck with that. I know guys with the best of reputation walking away. Please fill us in when you make that different.

• Like 1