Sign in to follow this  
Toughtimes

Hard to find guys

What goes around comes around, as one of the oldest members on this site, you had the chance to form an association and Blew it. 

I don't feel sorry for any of you as you are your own worst enemy, continue to moan and groan and as you can see things won't change until you get rid of H-A-C and the owners club, who couldn't care less about your problems. Remember who calls the shot$$$$.

I had no problem in the industry, and wouldn't have changed it until HAC came along and for some unknown reason was accepted as representing the whole Helicopter Industry, which was only concerned with the operators and continued to kowtow to the customers for the almighty buck.

The airlines are regulated by ICAO and supposedly Transport Canada Aviation, why aren't the rest of the peons in the industry regulated with actual Tariffs. ??

• Like 2

On 3/12/2019 at 7:44 AM, WHODAT said:

Does anyone know why we are recognized like  REDSEAL trades are?

It just doesn't seem right that we are not respected like other trades are

Trades, in general, are provincially licensed. Red Seal allows a trades person meet a minimum standard to work across provinces.

Our AME licenses are federally issued, and automatically allows us to work across provinces. We don't need a Red Seal.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, helikenny said:

Doesn’t surprise me there are now shortages.  Many have left through attrition as well as changed careers midstream.

I have been an AME in this industry for 39 years now, having been employed in commercial, corporate, as well as government. I’m semi retired now, and enjoyed it for the most part, due to the passion we all have for this industry.

It’s sad to see the commercial helicopter industry hasn’t changed much and won’t change, until we as professionals refuse to work under these same conditions that have been around since the 80’s. Companies continue to under bid each other and try to make it throughout the year, partially on the backs of its professional pilots and engineers.

This industry is a joke, I’ve been in it for over 15 years now and unless you are single and ready to be a yes man/woman you are just another bitchy pilot or grumpy engineer.  No other industry in the world would get away with how this industry treats its staff. I especially get a kick out of how people who fly in a machine every once in a while as a passenger get to have a say in how good or bad you are as a pilot.  That would be like you riding on a train every now and then and be able to complain about the conductor cuz you’ve been riding the train for years.  This industry is complete garbage and needs to change. People need to realize that employees have life’s and families and most of us don’t really care about your company and whether you make 4 million or 5 million this year.  This is a paycheck for me now and I’m not willing to loose a wife or family just so I can go out and make you richer then get criticized for asking for time off. I think everyone needs to wake up and realize we are professionals and not just “meat servos” as the earlier generations were called.

Let’s all start being pilots not drivers and engineers not parts changers. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TheReaper2.0 said:

"meat servo"

That's a new one to me! Made me laugh this morning.

On 4/7/2019 at 4:32 PM, ray said:

Trades, in general, are provincially licensed. Red Seal allows a trades person meet a minimum standard to work across provinces.

Our AME licenses are federally issued, and automatically allows us to work across provinces. We don't need a Red Seal.

Yes,I understand that.

What I mean is, a Red Seal trade seems to be more valued then an AME maintaining multi million dollar aircraft. Doesn't seem right to me

No wonder it's hard to find good people.  

Why?  What does a Red Seal give you that an AME license doesn't?  I have an American A&P from my AME license.  Could that happen with a Red Seal?  The answer is no.

Fair pay 212 wrench. And non of this averaging BS. If you don’t want to pay then don’t crew the aircraft. Look around, the only thing that hasn’t increased in cost considerably is helicopter tariffs and crew wages. 

9 hours ago, 212wrench said:

Why?  What does a Red Seal give you that an AME license doesn't?  I have an American A&P from my AME license.  Could that happen with a Red Seal?  The answer is no.

Huge training incentives for red seal programs, at least there was when I went to school 

There are training incentives for AME's as well. Red Seal is provincial, no federal recognized certification.  So it doesn't fit in with an AME license, in fact it would have no ICAO relevance.  Also, Red Seal is driven totally by industry.  Find it ironic that HAC is slammed for being an owners club, yet Red Seal would be a benefit?  Red Seal has no wage scale.  You get paid what industry will pay you.  Aviation folks take the pay because we don't refuse it.  There is a massive shortage of licensed, endorsed, experienced AME's.

"It’s sad to see the commercial helicopter industry hasn’t changed much and won’t change, until we as professionals refuse to work under these same conditions that have been around since the 80’s. Companies continue to under bid each other and try to make it throughout the year, partially on the backs of its professional pilots and engineers."

That pretty much nails it and being a Red Seal ain't gonna change it.

• Like 3

On 4/11/2019 at 10:49 AM, 212wrench said:

There are training incentives for AME's as well. Red Seal is provincial, no federal recognized certification.  So it doesn't fit in with an AME license, in fact it would have no ICAO relevance.  Also, Red Seal is driven totally by industry.  Find it ironic that HAC is slammed for being an owners club, yet Red Seal would be a benefit?  Red Seal has no wage scale.  You get paid what industry will pay you.  Aviation folks take the pay because we don't refuse it.  There is a massive shortage of licensed, endorsed, experienced AME's.

"It’s sad to see the commercial helicopter industry hasn’t changed much and won’t change, until we as professionals refuse to work under these same conditions that have been around since the 80’s. Companies continue to under bid each other and try to make it throughout the year, partially on the backs of its professional pilots and engineers."

That pretty much nails it and being a Red Seal ain't gonna change it.

Agreed 100%; The reason the wages are not where they should be has nothing to do with Red Seal Certification. The market is saturated with operators, and as a result customers for the most part are in the driving seat, and therefore margins are low. We should be focused on maintaining our designation as it is.