Sign in to follow this  
Toughtimes

Hard to find guys

I’m really interested to see what happens  when the operators have a difficult time finding the pilots that undervalue themselves. I’m done letting the company decide what they think I’m worth unless they start paying my mortgage and groceries. They say their margins are tighter but don’t really care that ours are more so. One operator had the balls to tell me my wife should work more! 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

No shortage of undervalued drivers in 2019. I lasted 3 days at a large operator that elects not to pay for training in Ontario. 

55 hours of online training and a week in the classroom in our industry is expected for free.

The previous 30+  pilots didn't seem too concerned about it.... i guess we'll have to wait for the vietnam vets to retire.

Better conditions at Tim Hortons.....

"Time spent by an employee in training that is required by the employer or by law is counted as work time. For example, where the training is required because the employee is a new employee or where it is required as a condition of continued employment in a position, the training time is considered to be work time."

https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/tools/hours/what_counts.php

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I'm almost certain some companies hire Human Resource personnel for the sole purpose of the companies benefit with labour laws. Not for the benefit of the employee.

They know the law, and know the cost risks of a labour dispute claim, and usually know they will lose the fight,  but will drag it on as long as possible in the hopes you drown in debt before they do and give up.

There is very little repercussions for them when caught breaking the rules. 

• Like 1

Well it’s getting near to the busy season why don’t we all just say no when the phone rings and maybe owners will finally realize they aren’t in charge and it’s hard to take jobs with no pilots and engineers.  But I’m sure there’s always gonna be that clown that’s a yes man and ruin it for us all. This industry isn’t gonna change unless we all get together and stand beside one another rather than trying to be better than the guy/gal beside you. 

• Thanks 3

On 4/17/2019 at 6:07 PM, R0T0R said:

I’m really interested to see what happens  when the operators have a difficult time finding the pilots that undervalue themselves. I’m done letting the company decide what they think I’m worth unless they start paying my mortgage and groceries. They say their margins are tighter but don’t really care that ours are more so. One operator had the balls to tell me my wife should work more! 

I had the balls after a night of drinking to tell my wife that. They are now firmly secure in her purse. All jokes aside fellas I'm not missing it one bit. Gonna be a good summer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chopter said:

No shortage of undervalued drivers in 2019. I lasted 3 days at a large operator that elects not to pay for training in Ontario. 

55 hours of online training and a week in the classroom in our industry is expected for free.

The previous 30+  pilots didn't seem too concerned about it.... i guess we'll have to wait for the vietnam vets to retire.

Better conditions at Tim Hortons.....

"Time spent by an employee in training that is required by the employer or by law is counted as work time. For example, where the training is required because the employee is a new employee or where it is required as a condition of continued employment in a position, the training time is considered to be work time."

https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/es/tools/hours/what_counts.php

Only lasted three days huh? Lol.

• Haha 1

Why is it that when you ask a company for a schedule they look at you like you’re asking to sleep with their significant other? If a fixed wing company with hundreds of pilots can do it why can’t operators manage to organize a dozen pilots? Is it that they are still the older generation and they feel everyone should be available at all times at the drop of a hat, or just unable to comprehend the concept that people want to have a work/life balance. Maybe it’s a combination of them mixed with not having the capacity to create a schedule either way I think things need to change or I have a feeling more people will leave and the industry will be in a worse spot than it is now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reaper, I agree with what you are saying, but understand that you are only a hired hand as is the chief pilot that hired you. The owner doesn't care, he is giving you a job, so what's the problem.

If the owner really cared about his employees, he would put a clause in the contract that pilots and ame's will be rotated every XXX weeks at the contractor's expense.

Most of the larger companies already have rotations set up and is included in the overhead of that particular contract. If you think you have to stay on a contract for XX# of months, go somewhere else.

when you talk of fixed wing companies having a schedule, are you talking an airline that runs flights on schedules? because thats a no brainer how that works. But they still have to make last minute decisions when maintenance or weather rears its ugly head and throws a kink into the system. Ive been burnt on westjet many times when the flights delayed because of weather, and then because the pilots duty day is done subsequently. I can only imagine the staff in the back ground scrambling to find replacements.

If you mean on demand charter operations, good for them that they can run their staff through a reliable schedule and actually have a life outside of work. 

It would be a perfect world if we all could operate this way, but the reality of the industry is that it cant.

Fires dont follow a timeline. Most contracts (daily work) are on demand. So to schedule someone on a specific rotation will likely have drawbacks of some sort. Pilot A may end up grounded for most of his two week tour because of weather, and Pilot B may be flying balls to the wall sun-up to sundown because he lucked out. I got stuck in the arctic for an extra 7 days once because of a storm that rolled through. Who do I blame for that one?

So while you may solve one problem by running "X" week tours to the day, you can see the other problems that arise because of it.

Its a hard thing for an industry that makes its money in a short period and can't control some of the variables like a scheduled flight fixed wing operation can.

You really do need to love this industry to accept the pitfalls and stay in it.

Flying VFR, there is nothing you can do about getting extended  in the arctic due to weather. As for rotations and pay. some companies (not many) are giving set rotations with set salaries. This creates less financial risk on the pilots and more on the company. Hard to do when all the operators are undercutting each other.