Sign in to follow this  
Toughtimes

Hard to find guys

6 hours ago, GrayHorizons said:

when you talk of fixed wing companies having a schedule, are you talking an airline that runs flights on schedules? because thats a no brainer how that works. But they still have to make last minute decisions when maintenance or weather rears its ugly head and throws a kink into the system. Ive been burnt on westjet many times when the flights delayed because of weather, and then because the pilots duty day is done subsequently. I can only imagine the staff in the back ground scrambling to find replacements.

If you mean on demand charter operations, good for them that they can run their staff through a reliable schedule and actually have a life outside of work. 

It would be a perfect world if we all could operate this way, but the reality of the industry is that it cant.

Fires dont follow a timeline. Most contracts (daily work) are on demand. So to schedule someone on a specific rotation will likely have drawbacks of some sort. Pilot A may end up grounded for most of his two week tour because of weather, and Pilot B may be flying balls to the wall sun-up to sundown because he lucked out. I got stuck in the arctic for an extra 7 days once because of a storm that rolled through. Who do I blame for that one?

So while you may solve one problem by running "X" week tours to the day, you can see the other problems that arise because of it.

Its a hard thing for an industry that makes its money in a short period and can't control some of the variables like a scheduled flight fixed wing operation can.

You really do need to love this industry to accept the pitfalls and stay in it.

Talked with a pilot that flies a 214 in Australia on fires.  He says they work no more than 8-9 hour days with a set schedule and days off. What makes the helicopter industry in Canada special?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Heizenberg said:

Talked with a pilot that flies a 214 in Australia on fires.  He says they work no more than 8-9 hour days with a set schedule and days off. What makes the helicopter industry in Canada special?

I agree Ive talked with pilots and engineers who have worked at companies for 15+ years and all of them say they have set schedules they are all VFR operators. What makes one different from the other? 

• Like 1

What makes the helicopter industry in Canada special?

Our tariffs are in the gutter because there are far too many operators chasing a very finite amount of work. That's why we can't do things that people in other countries can.

• Thanks 1

and how many in canada can secure that big forestry contract to be able to run a schedule? you have so many guys sitting and waiting for that phone to ring. Sometimes it doesn't ring. 

Dont get me wrong, I'm on a nice 3 and 3 rotation and would love it if everyone could have that, but I just see too much diversity in canada that it can be done across the board.

20 hours ago, Heizenberg said:

Wow, I haven't worked in Australia for awhile, but the last time I was there I don't remember any short easy days. All I remember is a case of plastic water bottles dropped on the hot tarmac for me in 49C temps and no food until 10PM the night I got back to the pub/hotel...which was laden with bed bugs lol.

38 minutes ago, Jurome said:

Wow, I haven't worked in Australia for awhile, but the last time I was there I don't remember any short easy days. All I remember is a case of plastic water bottles dropped on the hot tarmac for me in 49C temps and no food until 10PM the night I got back to the pub/hotel...which was laden with bed bugs lol.

Now that sounds more like what has been going on in Canada for the last 40 yrs....sadly.... i worked a lot of fires in Canada and I must say Manitoba at least tried to treat heli crews with some respect. Back in the good old days we use to have a great time on fires in Manitoba . After ever project fire...big fire ... we use to have a big wind up bash. Everyone left waiting for the next one...good times ....I could tell a few good stories...but to protect the rep of a lot of great pilots and engineers I will keep them to myself.I can remember rolling back into base camp at sundown...getting out of my machine after 10 hrs of givin er and have a CO open my door and hand me a cold beer and tell me the steaks were on the barbie...what the he## happened to those days!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DGP said:

..getting out of my machine after 10 hrs of givin er and have a CO open my door and hand me a cold beer and tell me the steaks were on the barbie...what the he## happened to those days!

Gone forever because now it’s illegal to have a beer in the summer with 12hrs bottle to throttle 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, flingwinger said:

Gone forever because now it’s illegal to have a beer in the summer with 12hrs bottle to throttle 

Sounds like a real good reason to stay at home this summer! Good luck on policing that one!

• Haha 1

On 4/24/2019 at 5:37 AM, GrayHorizons said:

and how many in canada can secure that big forestry contract to be able to run a schedule? you have so many guys sitting and waiting for that phone to ring. Sometimes it doesn't ring. 

Dont get me wrong, I'm on a nice 3 and 3 rotation and would love it if everyone could have that, but I just see too much diversity in canada that it can be done across the board.

What’s nice about 3 and 3 ?

• Like 1