Boomtown

Hypothetically speaking... hours worked

If you are skids up at 0800 and fly for 0.5 to a remote site with a crew, Sit there all day then fly them back (another 0.5) and are skids down at 1800... how many hours did you work that day 

I'm pretty sure I know where your going with this, but I'll bite

Answer = 0 Hrs of work.

- Sitting on your butt all day playing on your phone and taking cat knaps dreaming of flying bigger and better aircraft isn't work. As well the 1.0 hrs flight time doesnt count as it is not really work if you love what your doing!

Totally Kidding....... !!!

Reality is that it is probably more like 11Hrs+ at a minimum if you also count doing a thorough morning DI and post flight inspection/paperwork etc. upon return. Based on your hypothetical situation.

Potentially more time when  nightly maintenace is being carried out, sometimes required to lend a helping hand to your engineer. (Which we are thankful for, even though we dont always show it)

Its also not just a pilot problem, engineers and groundcrew also run into this type of situation frequently.

I think the key is finding employers to work with that do recognize and compensate for this in all roles in aviation.

Might seem like I'm talking about a very rare unicorn, but they do exist.

JJ.

Hope you’re getting mins and not just sitting there for your day rate + 1 hour flt pay! If you are, you are better off working at the local bowling alley cuz that dude is making more per hour than you.  Ahhhhhhh but wait you get to tell all the chicks you’re a Pilot right! That’s why we all do it correct?  And to answer your question it would be a 11 hour duty day as TC would like to see at least 30 mins prior to departure and 30 mins after landing for preflight/post flight and paperwork. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Heres the systems i've seen to abuse the seasonal averaging agreement

Company 1

-Flight time plus 2hrs

Company 2 ( more generous, not like the dirt bags down the road)

-minimum 8hrs or flight time plus 2 hrs for days over 8hrs flying

Company 3

-If you meet 2080hrs your done flying till Jan1.  Put what ever you want on the forum.

Company 4

We don't pay over time....

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, vortex said:

Yeah, Labour Canada is pretty clear about what constitutes hours of work, despite what the people signing the pay cheques may try to tell you.

Namely:

In general, an employee is performing “work" when the employee:

• is on any trial period or training required by the employer;

• is on travel time required by the employer;

• is at the employer’s disposal on the worksite and the employee is required to wait for work to be assigned or is assigned work outside their normal responsibilities; and

• is on a scheduled break granted by the employer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robottxt said:

Heres the systems i've seen to abuse the seasonal averaging agreement

Company 1

-Flight time plus 2hrs

Company 2 ( more generous, not like the dirt bags down the road)

-minimum 8hrs or flight time plus 2 hrs for days over 8hrs flying

Company 3

-If you meet 2080hrs your done flying till Jan1.  Put what ever you want on the forum.

Company 4

We don't pay over time....

It gets really special when you combine Company 1, 3, and 4...