Comments on BC Helicopters as flight school

Success_Over

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/24/2019 at 6:14 AM, pilot83 said:

I agree with Rotor, however ask the guy instructing you what it’s like to be on a campaign fire, or in a camp setting, or sitting on a pipeline for 10 hours and you didn’t bring your lunch cuz the client told you he’d only need an hour, two max and now your thinking about eating the rations from the survival kit cuz you’ve been there all day.  If he’s never been in one of those situations I would look elsewhere.  Anybody can teach you how to fly, but it’s the insights and experience I took away most from my initial training. 

Also go fixed wing!

Exactly this. Flight schools are all puppy mills at the end of the day, but find out what the experience of your instructor is. Did they pay for their first 500 hours, get an instructor license and start teaching or did they actually spend several thousand hours working in the industry. No shortage of experienced instructors out there with actual work experience in the industry.

And if I started again I'd go fixed wing as well lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 5:55 PM, SpoolDown said:

Exactly this. Flight schools are all puppy mills at the end of the day, but find out what the experience of your instructor is. Did they pay for their first 500 hours, get an instructor license and start teaching or did they actually spend several thousand hours working in the industry. No shortage of experienced instructors out there with actual work experience in the industry.

Must be nice to be able to bug your own machine and just fly around for 500 hours doing whatever you like not having to worry about repaying loans. 
What a garbage school!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 7:55 PM, SpoolDown said:

Funny thing though, almost all fixed wing instructors are just timebuilding. 

I strongly disagree, I think the instructors should have the basics down, so that the student can d=fly an accurate circuit, can fly a cross country, can talk on the radio, then the industry should teach them how to operate. 100 hours is already 50 hours less than the rest of the world, and not nearly enough for basics. I see it time and again.

• Like 2