Comments on BC Helicopters as flight school

Success_Over

55 minutes ago, Winnie said:

Funny thing though, almost all fixed wing instructors are just timebuilding. 

I strongly disagree, I think the instructors should have the basics down, so that the student can d=fly an accurate circuit, can fly a cross country, can talk on the radio, then the industry should teach them how to operate. 100 hours is already 50 hours less than the rest of the world, and not nearly enough for basics. I see it time and again.

And where did you get your licence?

8 hours ago, Full On said:

And where did you get your licence?

Does it matter? I got mine in the US, have FAA, TC and EASA licenses.

I worked for 12 years as a class 1 instructor in Canada and also as a company training pilot. and have since worked in industry and see daily the result of lack of basic knowledge, and lack of basic understanding of navigation and simple stuff like planning and flying a circuit. but like I said ,we wont agree on this.

But look again at the airplane side, the majority of instructors are low timers, teaching basics.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Winnie said:

Does it matter? I got mine in the US, have FAA, TC and EASA licenses.

I worked for 12 years as a class 1 instructor in Canada and also as a company training pilot. and have since worked in industry and see daily the result of lack of basic knowledge, and lack of basic understanding of navigation and simple stuff like planning and flying a circuit. but like I said ,we wont agree on this.

But look again at the airplane side, the majority of instructors are low timers, teaching basics.

Oops that question was for SpoolDown….that puppy mill comment always drives me nuts. 

• Haha 1

No worries. 

when push comes to shove, it's all the same, everyone has to meet the exact same minimum (barest of minimums really) standard. where they look at a snapshot of your training. the much maligned FAA system has much harder rides, with a much stricter demand for knowledge and a requirement to pass each and every manoeuvre to a graded standard. including each and every ride subsequently. meaning a 135 ride (similar to our PPC for 703) is a complete to commercial (or ATP) standard ride with EVERY aspect checked. the rides last several hours. I know everyone like to disparage our southern brothers, but their system does a better job of checking and training to a standard, than do we here in Canada. But we all meet the same standard.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...