I have been having issues with some of my Garmin. I have a 396, 496 for aviation and a 420S for boating. All of these units are having trouble picking up satellites. Anyone else having issues. 

usually a sign that the internal battery is past its life expectancy.. when that battery loses all its charge the GPS loses its last known position and has to do a complete scan of the skies to try to locate itself

• Like 2

I have tried to get help from Garmin and they straight out told me they will no longer support the 396 or fix it and there only solution was to buy a new one. . .

Does anyone know of a good GPS company in the western Canada? 

31 minutes ago, Whirlybird said:

I have tried to get help from Garmin and they straight out told me they will no longer support the 396 or fix it and there only solution was to buy a new one. . .

https://www.gpscentral.ca  They may be able to help you with a repair

6 hours ago, Whirlybird said:

Repair for all 496, 396, 296 and 196 ended some time ago. These units are now unserviceable.
https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/warranty-information/out-of-warranty

Best bet is to troll ebay for a 596/596 or newer at a reasonable price. They are least still repairable by Garmin.
 I picked up a 595 2 years ago for $500, so there are deals out there.

Option B, Foreflight on a Cellular iPod.

my two cents

I find Foreflight is such a good tool. The downside to it is bush flying, fires for example. Marking user waypoints is a process. If they added a quick mark button or simplified the user waypoint menu it would be perfect. 

• Like 1