Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

FAA conversion

Dynamic

I did my conversion this spring.  Exam wasn't a big challenge if you're prepared.  Dauntless and Sheppard Air have great study guides specifically made for the CCH exam.  Once the exam is complete, do your interview with the FAA and I had my temp airman license right away and they mail you the card at a later date.

Best of luck!

Very straight forward if you spend a few hours studying. Make your appointment to write the exam and pay your money.

If you want a stand alone FAA cert. make sure you get a FAA Class 1 or 2 medical done before you see the FAA.

The advantage of a stand alone FAA Commercial Cert. is that it doesn't ride on your Transport Canada License. it also has the "Not for Hire or compensation" restriction removed. IE: you can get paid to fly a FAA registered aircraft.

• 1 year later...
On 4/10/2019 at 12:35 AM, th3M said:

I did my conversion this spring.  Exam wasn't a big challenge if you're prepared.  Dauntless and Sheppard Air have great study guides specifically made for the CCH exam.  Once the exam is complete, do your interview with the FAA and I had my temp airman license right away and they mail you the card at a later date.

Best of luck!

Hi th3M

I am looking for converting my Canadian CPL(H) to FAA, just wondering the converted FAA license you got has any difference compare to the regular FAA license?

Someone told me that the converted license indicates this license is originally converted from a Canadian license, have to use both Canadian and FAA license at the same time. Is that correct? 

Also, based on my knowledge, night training is not a part of the Canadian CPL training but it is included in FAA training. How does the license gonna be effected without the night training history? 

thanks!

Without having 10 hours of night flying. Your FAA cert. is restricted and is essentially a FAA private pilot cert. If you want a unrestricted FAA Commercial Rotary Cert. You need to have an FAA Medical done before you make your go for your FAA appointment. And without that your FAA cert will state that you are not allowed to fly for hire or compensation.

On 6/12/2020 at 1:25 AM, Diaper_Pin said:

Without having 10 hours of night flying. Your FAA cert. is restricted and is essentially a FAA private pilot cert. If you want a unrestricted FAA Commercial Rotary Cert. You need to have an FAA Medical done before you make your go for your FAA appointment. And without that your FAA cert will state that you are not allowed to fly for hire or compensation.

Thanks for your information!! 

On 6/9/2020 at 10:42 PM, harry156400 said:

Hi th3M

I am looking for converting my Canadian CPL(H) to FAA, just wondering the converted FAA license you got has any difference compare to the regular FAA license?

Someone told me that the converted license indicates this license is originally converted from a Canadian license, have to use both Canadian and FAA license at the same time. Is that correct? 

Also, based on my knowledge, night training is not a part of the Canadian CPL training but it is included in FAA training. How does the license gonna be effected without the night training history? 

thanks!

Hi Harry,

My FAA license is without any restrictions, therefore I don't believe it's any different than a regular FAA commercial license.  I do not believe that you need to have dual licenses with you at all times unless your changing from a C registered ship to an N registered ship on the daily.

You are correct that night training is standard for an FAA full commercial license.  It is not part of the training in Canada unless you specifically ask for it.  I personally went and did the 10 hours of training at Chinook and had my Day VFR limitation removed from my license.  The literature I found when looking to do the application was that I couldn't even apply for Foreign License Verification until I had my Day VFR restriction removed, therefore I had it done before time of application.

Overall, the process was simple.  Apply for the conversion, write the FAA CCH (Canadian Conversion Helicopters) exam and have the appointment setup with an FAA FSDO office.

I also had the class 2 medical done but the FSDO officer reminded me that it's only a requirement to have once you actually want to work the license (Part 133/135, etc).

Hope this helps.

A couple years ago I used this App https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/faa-commercial-pilot-test-prep/id381231394  to study for my TC to FAA rotorcraft conversion. A lot of IFR stuff but I got 85% pass anyway. Night VFR is not permitted in my area of the Caribbean so the night Flying part is redundant anyway. If you have any other questions send a PM.

On 6/18/2020 at 7:25 AM, th3M said:

Hi Harry,

My FAA license is without any restrictions, therefore I don't believe it's any different than a regular FAA commercial license.  I do not believe that you need to have dual licenses with you at all times unless your changing from a C registered ship to an N registered ship on the daily.

You are correct that night training is standard for an FAA full commercial license.  It is not part of the training in Canada unless you specifically ask for it.  I personally went and did the 10 hours of training at Chinook and had my Day VFR limitation removed from my license.  The literature I found when looking to do the application was that I couldn't even apply for Foreign License Verification until I had my Day VFR restriction removed, therefore I had it done before time of application.

Overall, the process was simple.  Apply for the conversion, write the FAA CCH (Canadian Conversion Helicopters) exam and have the appointment setup with an FAA FSDO office.

I also had the class 2 medical done but the FSDO officer reminded me that it's only a requirement to have once you actually want to work the license (Part 133/135, etc).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your valuable information. I truly appreciate your help.