Tuk/Alaska trip

We're planning a trip with clients in early June beginning from Calgary and on to Inuvik/Tuk then down the coast through Skagway/Juneau and the BC coast.  There may be 3 helicopters in tow here (407, L3 and a R44).  I'm just looking for some insight from the guys on the board who have experience in the areas of the Yukon and Northwest Territories.  

Given that we may need both Jet A and AvGAs, what routing would be best.  Anything more than 250nm in the Robinson is pushing it should you have a headwind, the L3 isn't good for much more than that.  Personally, my butt in the seat of a 407 has even less range before I could use a break 😉.  High Level to Ft Simpson, 225 nm-should be good.  Ft Simpson to Norman Wells, 260nm......gets a little tighter. NW to Inuvik, 243 nm.  I'm sure you can see where I'm going with all this. I'd be ok in the 407, but any head wind would kill the other two.  Carrying along some jerry cans is an option, but I was hoping to avoid carrying too much.  I have a basket for the 407, and will be flying slower anyways to say with the pack, so that may be the answer to my question right there.

Heading south from Inuvik, does Wiley (Eagle Plains) have fuel?  I've been told they do, but I've also been told that you needed to arrange for it in advance.  I could do Inuvik-Dawson no problem in the 407, but I worry about the others.I think once you hit Dawson, the fuel stops are more predictable

I got some great help from some of the folks on this board the last time I did a trip.  Some great info on where hidden fuel cache's are etc.  Hoping to have that help again here. As well, if you have any "must see" stops along this route, I'm listening there as well (I've been searching Google Earth for some of these tourist stops. If you have a great restaurant stop, also interested in that.  I've attached a screenshot of the route we are planning, but we are flexible.  As well, the plans could change again if the R44 Owner wasn't able to join us, but at this point, I'll start planning for the chance that all three of us would be doing the trip.   As well...........if you have places we should avoid (for whatever reason) I'd like to hear that as well.  

As well, you will see on the attached route, I've Googled "helicopter operators" and pinned their location on the route (more so in the Yukon).  If you have any that I've missed, I'd certainly appreciate it.  Especially on the route coming up fro Ft Simpson/Norman Wells.  

IMG_0115.jpeg

I can't speak for the Yukon and the Alaska side, but you do have some other fuel options for the Fort Simpson to Inuvik corridor:

GSH and Canadian both have drummed Jet A in Wrigley, Tulita and Fort Good Hope.  Speaking to their ops departments you may be able to buy fuel from them. 

Alternatively, instead of Wrigley to Norman Wells, you could go Wrigley to Deline in which they have commercial cardlock for Jet A available.

As for your AvGas requirement, Norman Wells should be no problem as lots of piston based aircraft still use that airport, namely North Wright and if memory serves, North Wright has a few drums of AvGas along that corridor as well for their Cessna aircraft.

Send me a PM if you want some names and contacts and I'll do what I can for you.

Otherwise, it sounds like an amazing trip!

• Like 3

Eagle plains have tons of jet fuel. Not sure about avgas. Tombstones are amazing, follow. Dawson-mayo, mayo- Whitehorse.. I would go to Haines junction (kluane National park) then down to Haines Alaska. Pop over to Skagway. On to Atlin get fuel from Norm at discovery heli. Then Dease Lake, Smithers. Etc etc some amazing country

Contact me if you have other questions

• Like 2

• 3 years later...