Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The dangers of net guns

I did a netgun job out of Eskimo Point with a 206. Temps were between - 40 and -30 with the back door off. They were netting caribou to retrieve collars and replace batteries. They were using a Ruger carbine in 44 mag to shoot the net.I told them to only shoot when the ship was level and to tell me when they were going to shoot. Job went well other than the brutal temps. They had me climb very high to find the animals as we had a tracking devise installed on the skid gear. I was up at 9000 feet when I noticed the fuel pressure had dropped below the red line...I descended very rapidly to get back down to 6000 ft and the pressure went back into the green. We did this job for 5 days out in the tundra. I can tell you white outs were a big problem. Thanks for blue lenses on the sunglasses! I was flying KBU for those that have flown that ship.

• Like 1

Okay so here is the one about the jumpers. I get told to go to a flying club grass strip to take a dozen idiots up that want to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft. I get there and go thru a safety briefing on what I want them to do so everyone can go home in one piece. I was going to take the back door off on the right side and would take two jumpers at a time. We would go up to 8000 ft and I would slow down to about 40 kts. When I told them it was good to go they would hang the headsets up on the far left side of the ship...undo their seat belts and put the buckle  behind themselves and do them up . One at a time they would get out on the right skid and fall off the skid. No diving...just fall off. So we start the show and things were going okay.About the third trip I have one guy that has to be a good 270 pounder and a smaller lady. Also on each trip I had a guy in the front taking pics of this folks jumping. So we get up to 8 grand and I start slowing down...tell them its good to go. Well the smaller woman does as was told...she is gone ...now the big goomer gets out on the side and decides that it would be cool to shimmy up the skid on my side to start waving at me in the front bubble. So now I have this big dope way up front on the skid and the ship goes into a steep right hand dive. He thinks this is great fun. I am yelling at him to get the he## off as we are nearing the red line on the airspeed and passing thru 5000 ft.He finally decides maybe the pilot is getting a bit pissed off and does a back gainer off the skid. So after gaining control of the ship...I AM pissed!. I land and shut down. The other jumpers are wondering what is up as there was going to be at least two trips for each jumper. So here comes the big dumb *** carrying his chute and we get at it. He won't be going again. Not sure how many trips I did that day but at the end I couldn't wait to get home and spin the lid off a bottle of Flora! My advice...don't do skydiving jobs!

DSC_0502.JPG

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...