Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

B3 power check with AFS filter

Hi all, 

Working for a company now that runs a b3 fleet with AFS filters. Having issues getting them to pass the inbuilt VEMD power checks, but I'm assured that it's just a calculation error in the software and that they're making power. 

Guys saying just take it up to 8-10k and it'll pass but that's all well and good on a clear day, no joy when it's garbage out.

Client has a requirement for aircraft to pass a power check weekly/25 hrs, so wondering if anyone has had similar experiences and has any input? 

Edit: just to clarify, fleet is 2B1 and 2D engines. 

If the doors are open and it’s failing, you have a problem. You are eliminating the filter from the equation, that means you have other issues. I’ve had a problem with the PowerCheck in the B3 years ago but it’s been rectified. It’s been almost 6 years since I’ve seen a fail due to the filter and I passed with the doors open. 

How do your numbers look while you are on the job....if you are hitting your temp limits before your torque limit I would say you have a sick donkey or some bad gauges or transducers. I had a 407 that was temping out at 96% torque below 1000 ft. Not normal. Especially at 28C oat! It also had a AFC filter and I had to run it with the doors open. Another problem could be a bad bled valve. Not too up on the astars but I seem to remember they had a caution light for the bled valve. 407 doesn't have a warning light for the bled valve and the one I was flying was coming due for an overhaul. Never did find out what the fix was on that puppy.I haven't flown it since I pasted on the info and the numbers! Good luck.

If it is a B3 dual hydraulic with 2D engine the FMS was updated with a new correction in Dec 2018.

https://www.donaldson.com/content/dam/donaldson/aerospace-defense/literature/north-america/rotorcraft/certifications/AFS-EC130-IBF-FMS.pdf

May or may not apply.

Interesting the FMS for the 350 B,BA,B2 and B3 hasn't been updated with the same correction. Single hydraulic filter is a different design so maybe not the same issues with passing power checks? I have seen B3 2D dual hydraulic power checks with marginal pass results. Not familiar with single hydraulic results.