Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tee4

B3 power check with AFS filter

Recommended Posts

One inherent risk of the filter system is that if the filter is too wet with oil, it will be drawn into the engine and "gunk" up the compressor.

Try a good chemical wash and rinse then go at it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Heliian said:

One inherent risk of the filter system is that if the filter is too wet with oil, it will be drawn into the engine and "gunk" up the compressor.

Try a good chemical wash and rinse then go at it again.

Thought I had a hydraulic oil leak on my 407.....it was just the red liquid they use to coat my AFS leaking on the deck, then making its way outside and down the fuselage......   Now I need to look in m compressor???  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bluethunder said:

Thought I had a hydraulic oil leak on my 407.....it was just the red liquid they use to coat my AFS leaking on the deck, then making its way outside and down the fuselage......   Now I need to look in m compressor???  

If there is so much that it looks like a hydraulic leak then I would.  With these systems, a careful application of a measured amount is required after the cleaned filter is DRY.  I always recommend having a spare for less downtime and it also avoids hastily serviced filters.  If it's not dry, the oil will just pass through and into the intake.  The coated parts then trap contaminants where you don't want them.  Sorry for the thread drift.

Tee4, as long as it passes the supplement chart, you're fine.  VEMD is outdated anyway imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

shouldnt be any contaminants though.  

if that was the case, just go back to the course screen and regular compressor washes and deal with the expected erosion of the blades.

Too much oil, should simply be too much oil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bluethunder said:

Thought I had a hydraulic oil leak on my 407.....it was just the red liquid they use to coat my AFS leaking on the deck, then making its way outside and down the fuselage......   Now I need to look in m compressor???  

Do what Heliian said and you should be good. Had the same thing happen on a couple of 407 and as you said I thought I had a hydraulic leak. Also with the oil they put on that air filter I had a bypass light coming on continually and finally they had to buy a new filter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2019 at 4:04 PM, GrayHorizons said:

shouldnt be any contaminants though.  

if that was the case, just go back to the course screen and regular compressor washes and deal with the expected erosion of the blades.

Too much oil, should simply be too much oil.

The oil sticks to everything and it accumulates ultra fine particles.  It creeps into places and can cause problems.  In this case, too much oil is not simply too much.  I would never go back to anything but a barrier filter, I think it's the best product since sliced bread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...