Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Home Made GPU

We had one that was 2 large truck batteries, standard maintenance type that worked great.

Nice thing is that you can still charge the batteries with a 12v charger.(more convenient with 24v charger)

NOTE:  use good heavy cables, keep them short and ensure really good connections on the batteries. Use solid wire to connect the 2 batts in series( or parallel if using 24v batteries).

Charge after every use once they've cooled and weekly if not used.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

I got very frustrated with the company while on a job up north one time. I was pleading with them to send a battery and constantly fighting with the machine to start. No battery arrived so I made my own GPU. Little unit worked some wicked, loved it!! Hope the pics help.

IMG_0174.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

• Thanks 1

Iceman,

If I zoom in on Norm's pictures it appears that he used AC delco DC24 batteries. They are a 12 Volt 75 Amp Hour battery.

If you are working in a shop, I would recommend the Bus or Large truck (tractor trailer) batteries as Heliian suggested.

I worked in a shop with the bus batteries GPU setup and we rarely had any problems motoring engine for compressor wash on 206L3 and 407.

Remember starter limits. I believe from a starter limit perspective, Bell Helicopter consider this a "Battery" motoring.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1