Story time

So..there is about 6 of us have some of the local rum...El Dorado. They have a huge distillery in the city. These guys are packing this stuff down straight...They never ever heard of mixing . Oh well I am having coke which they had me go get inside this old shack in a frig that looked older than me. I am looking around this neighborhood and there are dogs and cows and donkeys just wandering around everywhere. They all look like they haven't had a real meal in years....nice .So after a few drinks and some small talk I tell them I really need to go to the hotel for some food....so the guy that had ridden with me to Florida gives me a lift to the hotel which only takes 10 minutes. I shake his hand and head inside the hotel which promptly locks the front door. You can't get in or out after 8 PM!

• Like 1

This place locks up like Ft. Knox...I read up on this place before I left. Don't be out and about after dark...especially a lone foreigner.They have a heavy steel fence with  concerta wire and broken glass cemented into it surrounding the perimeter...nice friendly spot! Oh well I grab some supper which was excellent and they have a bar and pool...what more do you want.The fellow that flew down here with me from Nassau also gave me 2 boxes of Havana cigars when we got here...nice. I ask the bartender if smoking is allowed and he kind of looks at me like what...of course you can smoke. I ask...cigars...no problem. I go up to my very nice room grab a stoggie and head back to the bar and order a very large glass of some real good red wine. I am getting to know the staff here which is very friendly and very helpful...nice. I have been invited to take a flight out to the giant water falls which is a major tourist attraction around here so that is the plan for tomorrow. In the mean time I meet up with a banker from an island in the Caribbean and we get chatting...I ask him if he wants a cigar and he says sure...       I go get him one ...more small talk...well I got to crash...I am beat...the bartender says I can take my drink and smoke and take them to my room...very nice.

• Like 1

Well I head up to my room but I decide to smoke out on the balcony...temps outside seem to stay at 30C...hot and muggy. I am finishing my c..gar and wine when I hear something in the parking lot which is black as the bottom of a well.....a donkey using the facilities...now I've seen everything...as I say...it don't get better than this...wine ...smoks...and entertainment....what a day! The next day I get picked up by the new owner of the L4 and find out that the weather out at the falls is not good but we are going for a short tour around the Amazon jungle in buddies air conditioned R44....not what I had in mind but I decide to go along.

Photo750.jpg

In that pic above over on the right side is where the US special forces comes to do jungle training. We left town and were going into the jungle about 20-30 miles out of town. Buddy is packing a 357 mag pistol...I ask him what we have to watch out for...oh...20 ft long anacondas and the odd black panther...lovely! So he has his hired man flying this ship who happens to be in the military here as well...okay....lets see how this goes! We fly around for a bit and all I can say is if we go down out here aint nobody finding you ever! Boss man decides we will land and have a look at one of his operations going on out here...they cut down trees called purple heart and ship them to India. They are huge and worth a fortune . Okay lets see this approach...and better yet are we going to be able to get out of here again!

Photo725.jpg

Buddy says his forman will pick us up and we will drive around and have a look. I was worried that the bugs would be bad so I had sprayed myself with a ton of bug dope. I did not see one friggin bug out here...Canada is bug country not here. We get our ride ..an old beat up Toyota truck and head out for a look around. Captain R44 will wait at the ship. We come on a camp that has a bunch of locals cutting up these huge trees with chainsaws and they all speak perfect english...not what I would have expected!

Photo734.jpg

Photo737.jpg

Photo739.jpg

Well not to much of interest out here...he got a laugh when I ask where the nearest Timmy's is as my low coffee light had just came on. What I did like was we got to see the blue morpho butterflies...I am a butterfly nut...and these things were awesome! I tried several times to get a pic but they just won't sit long enough for a pic.So we head back to town to get some lunch and a coffee.

Photo735.jpg

Photo710.jpg

Photo741.jpg

• Like 2

The guy with the blue shirt on is the new owner and his shirt is the same colour as the blue morpho butterfly...we manage to get out of our landing spot with some work...giver er buddy! We fly by his mill on the way home as well as a spot where some Canadians where looking for gold! What a mess!

Photo718.jpg

Photo719.jpg

Photo717.jpg

Photo781.jpg

Well we made it back to town and I hang out for the day and the next day I head to the International Airport which is about an hours drive out of town. about 10 hrs later I am being picked up by by buddy Dennis in Toronto...off to his condo and a few rum and cokes and tall tales...he wants to know all the details and ...when is the next trip...I said in about a month we will be going to Dallas to pick up a 407 and flying it to YSJ...he can't wait ....to be continued.

January....I have been on the road for a couple of days and have met up with Dennis in TO. WE had a late night but are up early...4...we have one he## of a snow storm happening...getting to the airport was interesting to say the least...aircrew for our flight is delayed... finally airborne...next stop Dallas/Ft worth airport...we land and wait for pick up...its hot in Dallas and still early...still waiting for our ride. I am about to make a call when Dave arrives...off we go to Grand Prairie...Texas!