More Helicopter Drug Smuggling!

N1

The idea that somehow legalization would take the underworld element out of the drug trade and result in lower drug prices and less murders is ridiculous. It's flawed thinking.

In fact, drug use would become far more widespread and rampant. Anytime money changes hands there is a criminal element involved. Operative word: money. Perfect examples on this ARE alcohol and tobacco. They represent extremely serious health hazards. Why should we add cocaine, marijuana, heroin, et al, to this spectrum of potential physical and psychological disaster? Legalization isn't drug reform; it's drug retardation...just look back at the lax drug policies of the late 1960s and early to mid-1970s for an example. And we're talking faster, harder and seriously deadly designer drugs nowadays...larger sums of money...deadlier arms...etc., etc.

It's easy to appeal to emotion instead of reason in the legalization debate. Decriminilization would be opening a Pandora's Box and I hope I don't live long enough to ever see it. The greatest danger of legalization is to our youth and say what you will, but you'd never convince me otherwise. The war on illicit drugs must not stop.

The idea that somehow legalization would take the underworld element out of the drug trade and result in lower drug prices and less murders is ridiculous. It's flawed thinking.
When's the last time you saw a pusher selling booze or smokes at the street corner? When's the last time you heard of someone getting killed over a booze or smoke deal???? Of course it would eliminate the underworld element!!!!!

In fact, drug use would become far more widespread and rampant.
Says who?? The people who would do drugs if they were legallized are the same people who are already doing them now. The fear of going to jail is not stopping anyone from using drugs. If they legalized pot tomorrow would you and everybody you know suddenly start smoking doobies????? No. Cigarettes and booze are legal yet I don't smoke or drink excessively simply because smoking's stinks, it's bad for me and I don't like hangovers. Why would I or anyone else start smoking pot just because its legal????

The rampant use of drugs in the sixties and seventies had nothing to do with lax drug laws, it was simply timing of many things like youth rebelling against the stringent straight laced 50's, the vietnam war, women's lib, anti-segregation etc. It was a revolution of many things including culture. Also, a lot of those drugs were new and thought of as being "safe" at the time. Don't forget people used to think cocaine wasn't addictive.

Bottom line, folks who want to do drugs are doing them weather they're legal or not. Teenagers will experiment with booze, sex and drugs weather they're legal of not. Outlawing drugs does absolutely nothing to stop people from using them.

I'll tell you what's retarded, wasting tons of money and sending pot smokers to jail longer than some rapists and murderers, with absolutely no good results to show for it for the last 25 years, that's retarded!!!!!

I hate to say it but that's true! I also don't condone the use of any drug but the fact of the matter is simple: the "war on drugs" has done absolutely nothing to curb the use of drugs among teenagers and other users.

In the USA, some drug offenders get a longer jail sentence than some violent criminals, and yet, even with the threat of a severe punishment, people who choose to do drugs are not detered, therefore, I'm sorry to say that yes it most definately is a waste of taxpayers money to try to stop the sale and use of illegal drugs.

Drug use has been around long before the pilgrims decided it was "bad jou jou" and it will be around long after the disco lights go out! Let's not forget how Al Capone came to be! If it wasn't for the bible thumpers' push to outlaw booze early in the 1900's, Capone and many other gangsters would not have become the legends they are now! If drugs were legalized, the Hells Angels and other gangs would suddenly be out of a job!!!!! (as far as drug sales anyways)

I'm not saying that it should be a friggin free for all, but for all of you that think the legal system is a deterent for drug use, it simply isn't.

Booze lovers kept drinking right through prohibition just like pot smokers smoke their weed illegaly. Did the world come to an end when alcohol became legal again? No. Was there a massive increase in alcohol consumption after prohibition? No. Did the country fall into a pit of despair and alcoholism after prohibition? No. Why would legalizing drugs be any different? And by the way, alcohol can be just as addictive as drugs, yet, booze is legal!

However, if my kids decide they want to smoke pot against my wishes, I can try all I want, I won't be able to stop them so I'd rather they got whatever they're gonna get from a safe and reputable source than from a zoned out junkie a the local arcade or street corner. 

Fire at will!

:down: Okay J.B.......on some of your "points". I am sorry to hear in your beliefs that the money spent on the "war on drugs" has been a total waste. Your statement following ,that after prohibition was removed, "did the country fall into a pit of despair and alcholism, no" is very naive. Go downtown on the "streets" of any major city and take a very close look at what legalized alcohol has managed to correct. Go to an A.A. meeting with respectable citizens of communities that wage a constant life struggle with addiction, and watch grown men cry over the loss of families because of it.

The "Hells Angels", I believe will manage also to stay active with their "protection/extortion", prostitution, auto theft, and yes, even if pot where "legalized", a more deadly/addictive "designer" drug would come into the black market that would help drive the engine for all this....money and power!

How in the world do people in society think that if you were to legalize anything, that it will cure the problem? Let's see.....as automobiles are legal to buy,sell and own, why is there such a huge problem with auto theft? Do you not think Jetbox that there are actually might be a black market there? What drives that?

Get it yet? Your statement that "the legal system is not a deterent for drug use simply does not make any sense. Laws are what keeps society from anarchy and chaos. Education is a big part on the war on drugs for our kids, do you feel that should be removed also? Should we remove the RCMP that attend our schools? Have you seen, perhaps your best friends teenage daughter convulse so violentely after attending a "rave" that she snapped her arm hard enough to protrude the bone though her skin?

As Cap pointed out in another post, do you understand what "ecstacy" does to our kids?

So, legalizing pot, and or some other "soft drugs" will make this all go away, all the "organized crime" will just disappear? Jetbox my friend this was not about lecturing or criticism my friend, this is about life and how we live it, you are entitled to do that as you see fit. I have witnessed to much of the ugly side of life....and I am forever grateful that our society has the good sense and judgement to wage "the war on drugs" because it represents much, much more.

Slight correction Jetbox. I believe that you'll find that alcohol use is legal in all parts of Canada and there are copious mumbers of outlets even in the smallest towns. Perhaps you'd like to check with the RCMP on the activities of their squads in each province who are kept busy putting down illicit stills and homebrew operations. No.....not some "Mom and Pop" operation, but large crime-backed operations. They've taken a backseat to the drug world, but they still operate........and it's not all good stuff either.....some of it can kill. So your premise that legalizing hardcore drugs would eleininate the problem or almost so, isn't backed up by our track record with booze to date. ANYTHING controlled by any arm of government will have those that will try to operate outside those bounds set by those governments. Carry on with your position, but "don't go there" with that position because there's all kinds of places one can get home made booze that isn't made under any license and therefore can be of any quality.....dangerous or not. So legalize your drugs under government control and even have outlets for legal purchase .......and you will STILL have those that make it and sell it outside of that government control.

Guest jesse
You guys make me laugh, going all squirly over the legalization of Pot, when half the perscription durgs on the market are killing people daily, how many were finally removed last week? Three? You don't seem to care about the FDA rushing powerful drugs through the certification process, but you all get your knickers in a knot over a natural substance? Wow, priorities gentlemen.
Thats ridiculous i cant believe you consider prescription drugs a higher danger to society than illegal drugs. How many people die as a result of prescription drugs versus illegal drugs.

The money could be far better spent on rehabilitation programs, education and addictions research.

Ya good idea rather than spend our tax money trying to stop drugs lets instead spend it to coddle all the abusers and crackheads, thats really going to stop the problem.( sarcasm )

I live in a city in which the downtown core has been deteriorating for some time now due to the large number of bums and drug addicts who migrate daily from one drop in center to another. Each time a new treatment center or food kitchen or free drop in center is added it has only helped to increase the number of these people. If we condone this type of activity its only going to encourage more people, after all why would these people want to change there lifestyles when they get all these free services and treatment. Rehabilitation programs and addictions research wont stop the the drug problem.

Guest jesse

Thats an interesting article however the total deaths attributed to the side affects of prescription drugs is only a speculation as no comprehensive study had been done. Not to say that it isnt a problem but going strictly by the article it doesnt give any concrete evidence that would lead me to believe that it is a larger problem than illegal drugs.

Capt Krusty ------- you point may be mostly valid, but again, don't make the same mistake as Jetbox. "HALF the prescription drugs on the market are killing people"........do you know how many HALF is? "They removed three last week".........my local pharmacy has a few more prescription-required drugs behind their counter.....and THREE isn't half of that number. Personally, I don't care what the FDA does because not EVERY drug certified by the FDA is certified here in Canada. If in fact, I wish to get a certain kind of drug, I will find it much easier to purchase that drug right off the shelf in any pharmacy in Canada without a prescription, than I will in the US. I happen to have "back problems" and when I'm in the States I am in serious trouble if I try to find the same "off-the-shelf" medications that are readily available to me here in Canada. So don't compare the two countries either or you're in for a rude shock if you're in the States and go looking for something readily available to you at your local pharmacy here in Canada........you may get it, but you may not.......don't go assuming anything. Even years and years ago, I could purchase 222's for a headache off the shelf at any pharmacy in Canada, but when I was in the States, I needed a doctor's prescription for same.

The rest I won't address because it's a matter of opinion, a person's age, how and where they were raised and a whole bunch of other factors that "colour" their opinion one way or the other......and that's fair "Natural sustances?".........now there's a good subject.....how about "magic mushrooms" (lots of those around weeks after a good forest fire), hair-spray, assorted glues or the one I got lots of "highs" from when I was a kid working in the family's hangar.......a/c 'dope'. :wacko:

Helilog56 wrote:

and I am forever grateful that our society has the good sense and judgement to wage "the war on drugs" because it represents much,much, more.

You're right, it represents how far up our ***** we as a society have our heads.

You guys make me laugh, going all squirly over the legalization of Pot, when half the perscription durgs on the market are killing people daily, how many were finally removed last week? Three?  You don't seem to care about the FDA rushing powerful drugs through the certification process, but you all get your knickers in a knot over a natural substance?

The war on drugs is a waste of time and money, you cannot fix the "drug problem" by cutting out on half of one percent of the supply. It's grade three thinking, and it's all political. They keep dumping money into this thing to pacify the right wing voters. Better to be seen doing something high profile, if useless, than to quietly do the the right thing.  The money could be far better spent on rehabilitation programs, education and addictions research.

Heli56, I would far rather live in a culture where I'm allowed to do what I want, when I want and how I want.  People will always be addicts to one thing or another, the money should be spent on helping those people. Your statement that the legal sysytem is a deterant is completely uniformed. My wife works very closely with those people you take about - and believe me, the law is the fartheest thing form their minds when taking/dealing drugs.  Punishment is NOT an effective deterant for anything, especially for those who are desparate.

Gee Capt. K....You should perhaps become a spokesperson for organized crime. This is not just about going" squirrly" over pot legalization, it's about what powers it ....greed, money and or power, call it what you will. I concur, trying to punish the person with a addiction problem is not what this is about, and yes education and treatment is duly needed....but, is that not what is part of the war on drugs as I mentioned earlier? As for living in a culture to do what you want, when you want, and how you want.....spare me the idealistic dream.....with beliefs like that who, perhaps has their head where?