Most hours in a day, week, month or year.

Many years ago working some major fires the guys running the show would ask how many hrs you wanted to fly...some guys were doing 14hrs...I was doing 10...in 1989 I did some big hrs in July and Aug. I remember getting a week off. I will go look up those days and get back.

Looked it up..lots of 8.8...9..only a couple of 10's...did well over 200 hrs from July3 until Aug 15th...I got a couple of weeks off and then went back out and was slinging hose melons off of some huge fires that had finally been rained out...did that for almost 3 weeks....5-6 hrs a day.

When I was doing that work I landed and shut down for lunch..before firing up i did a short walk around the ship...I had a bunch of string from tying up these melons wrapped around the pitch links on the tailrotor..a little safety briefing followed!

I started looking through my log books and found the highest day was a 13.3. That was on a tree planting job and part of 43.2 in 4 days. I found

4 or 5 different weeks in the 50 - 60 range on either large fires or tree planting but the busiest was 68.9 in 7 days and I ended up with 99.5 hours on the 12th day,

It was a large tree planting job with about 50 planters and a lot of distance between the various blocks so there was always work to do.

I was happy to be that busy with a Bell 206 at the time.

For me it was 18.8 hrs done in a 26 hrs period during the Uranium rush in 1980 up in the Arctic. With that comes a little bit more than 700 landings and take-off for the day doing sole samplings. Add many days  in between 12 and 15 hrs .Done with a B206L

Off course that was way before the new CARs

CT

I think I actually did 16 hours one day but don't have that logbook with me.  I tend to remember things wrong, or so the wife tells me.  I do recall doing 180 hours in 19 days back in the 80s, inertial nav survey.  180 was the limit in 30 days so I had to stop early.

53 minutes ago, Bladestrike said:

I think I actually did 16 hours one day but don't have that logbook with me.  I tend to remember things wrong, or so the wife tells me.  I do recall doing 180 hours in 19 days back in the 80s, inertial nav survey.  180 was the limit in 30 days so I had to stop early.

I was doing the same kind of work in 1984 (inertial nav), my last gig in the business.  I was wrenching with Lakeland back in those days.  I got to work all night since the chopper flew from sun up to sun  down.  A 500D on the Prairies.  Some 'big-***' gyro operated box in the rear compartment that use to take an hour to get spinning before you could lift off.  I'm betting an iPhone could do the job of all those gyros now

fullsizeoutput_3f4b.jpeg

• Like 1