Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Thoughts from the HEMS world

Hello everyone....So I'm a newly minted helicopter mechanic over at Minuteman Aviation in Missoula Montana, I've been there just about five months now.  I could not be more excited to be a part of the rotorcraft community!  So during my quest for my A&P License I have and still am considering the HEMS world as my eventual career choice.  I do realize it takes a few years of experience to qualify for an aircraft mechanic job in that field but I'm thinking it will be a good rewarding path to shoot for.  I am curious however, and this is directed at anyone on here who has been involved or is currently involved in the HEMS world....I would like complete honesty, what are your experiences.....pros vs. cons, etc???  So far I have heard from two opposite ends of the spectrum...everything from the "worst maintained aircraft out there"  to the "best job I ever had."  Again I would like complete honesty from everyone but please keep it civil.  I'm just curious to hear from the actual folks on the front line if you will because I do realize this area of aviation can be a bit controversial.

Thank you everyone!

Cheers!

well, you being the mechanic pretty much determines whether you have the best or worst maintained aircraft out there

as for being the best place to work (or worst) thats subjective depending on what you want out of it.

bottom line is the question you pose is so broad, no one could fairly comment on a whole segment of the industry unless they have worked for every single one of them.

17 hours ago, CAstrike said:

Hello everyone....So I'm a newly minted helicopter mechanic over at Minuteman Aviation in Missoula Montana, I've been there just about five months now.  I could not be more excited to be a part of the rotorcraft community!  So during my quest for my A&P License I have and still am considering the HEMS world as my eventual career choice.  I do realize it takes a few years of experience to qualify for an aircraft mechanic job in that field but I'm thinking it will be a good rewarding path to shoot for.  I am curious however, and this is directed at anyone on here who has been involved or is currently involved in the HEMS world....I would like complete honesty, what are your experiences.....pros vs. cons, etc???  So far I have heard from two opposite ends of the spectrum...everything from the "worst maintained aircraft out there"  to the "best job I ever had."  Again I would like complete honesty from everyone but please keep it civil.  I'm just curious to hear from the actual folks on the front line if you will because I do realize this area of aviation can be a bit controversial.

Thank you everyone!

Cheers!

CA strike:

You have opened up a can of worms that nobody has mentioned (stupid is as stupid was), the airlines who are members Of ICAO and IATA introduced the SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (SMS) that was supposed to cure all problems related to RISK MANAGEMENT and MAINTENANCE and operators were home free. 

Well, the SMS was adopted by Transport Canada Aviation (TCA) and the FAA in North America and was regarded by both entities as a chance to download the inspection requirement to the operator, and they would only have inspect them infrequently, as the onus was delegated to the operator or manufacturer. The enforcement action within the companies was the responsibility of the owners or head honcho.

FAA took advantage of the SMS to download signing authority to Boeing, for their own modifications.

TCA took advantage of the, SMS to not inspect companies as required.

Both the FAA and TCA complain about lack of resources. $$$$$$$

I think all the aviation experts have to get their act together, as the body count is getting higher and higher.

IMHO

Don

PS; the only original part of the fuselage on the 737 Max 8 is the cockpit, with so many modifications you would think a redesign would make sense.

1 hour ago, Blackmac said:

CA strike:

You have opened up a can of worms that nobody has mentioned (stupid is as stupid was), the airlines who are members Of ICAO and IATA introduced the SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (SMS) that was supposed to cure all problems related to RISK MANAGEMENT and MAINTENANCE and operators were home free. 

Well, the SMS was adopted by Transport Canada Aviation (TCA) and the FAA in North America and was regarded by both entities as a chance to download the inspection requirement to the operator, and they would only have inspect them infrequently, as the onus was delegated to the operator or manufacturer. The enforcement action within the companies was the responsibility of the owners or head honcho.

FAA took advantage of the SMS to download signing authority to Boeing, for their own modifications.

TCA took advantage of the, SMS to not inspect companies as required.

Both the FAA and TCA complain about lack of resources. $$$$$$$

I think all the aviation experts have to get their act together, as the body count is getting higher and higher.

IMHO

Don

PS; the only original part of the fuselage on the 737 Max 8 is the cockpit, with so many modifications you would think a redesign would make sense.

Lol...good job staying on topic.

• Haha 2

CAstrike;

I hope you have been following the amount of accidents that happen in the hems industry?

The scenario I set-up is, only to avail you off the BS you have to put up, with your own FAA and the operators you will be working for.

It's all very nice to have your A&P licence, but remember when there is an accident, and you were the one to release the bird as airworthy, they usually blame the pilot first, mechanic next and the company last, because they were abiding by their Safety Management System, which most companies use for toilet paper. NO ENFORCEMENT by the so called regulators.

Cars, trucks, etc are becoming more computerized and you can always blame it on the computer if the problem is not solved.

Dream on, but you would probably make as much money and be at home, guaranteed

Cheers, Don

Edited by Blackmac
change format