Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Alberta Fire Season Cuts

I wouldnt worry about a bad season.

they aren't going to park helicopters while the forest burns. They will still be crewing them and fighting. Helicopter companies will still thrive on fires.

Greta and Elon are corroborating on a solar powered S92 that can run all day long on just pennies and put out 10 times more fire than any of its predecessors. 

this decision may mean more fires get bigger and out of control, and when they do, they'll just declare state of emergencies and chase the Federal government for the cash to fund the fire response with even more helicopters and crews.

the province saves money, the Feds cover more. As a tax payer I feel the pinch and start to eat whole wheat KD three times a day to survive.

• Like 1

As the article states, they are dropping the rappel program, using other methods of detection to reduce staffing and cutting 1 of 8 air tankers.  Hardly the end of the world.  They did mention a 750 million dollar contingency for emergencies on top of their 113 million budget that I would assume pays your bills in case of another big one.  Worse case, the feds can bail them out 😉