Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

More Questions

Cole

all good points, I really would like to stay here as it would be alot cheaper and I could benefit from the extra hours spent in say the premier pack from OKMH in Kelowna, I think mabey one bad experience might have turned this particular pilot off of of the poor robbie. He mentioned that Heli-college was one to steer clear of, so my thoughts were that mabey one pilot came to him from heli-college after completion and was very poor at flying so he might just have thought, hey mabey its the helicopter. he said that the r-22 was liimited in what it could do for training, mabey the pilot that he worked with in the above scenario was not let do autos and pedal jams, hmm many seem still to think that its good I think mabey I need more info

Keep the info comin', Cole B)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NOTE TO 412D if you are reading, I did not intend to exclude you but after I compared the cost of living from Abbotsford to Creston, it came as a bit of a no brainer, also the thaught had crossed my mind (got the Idea from Mark's Brother) to get a van or motorhome, and live on-site. so in no way are you excluded, however it just seems like the extra money would be better spent on flying rather than living

No offence intended, Cole B)

Funny you got a negative about Heli-College. They (and Lyle Watts) are among the highest rated schools in the country...

As fr living in a van: Keep in mind your training will last about six to eight months if you do it right (too quick or too slow you retain less of what you're taught). Do you really want to live in a van or motorhome for that long ? I'm in LA for a month, living in my van, and I'm already finding it gets old in a hurry...

If you can, try and stay @ home as long as your parents will keep you (or vice-versa). You'll save money, have mom feeding you (and from your previous posts its obvious she's been good at that ;) ), and sleep in your bed every night...

I've been living in it since March 26... :wacko:

Or long enough to expend half a bottle of Febreeze... :o

Luckily, it hasn't rained once since I got here, so the skylight and side windows are always open...

The only ripe smell I got was from the banana peel that found it's way under one of the seats somehow... :mellow:

I think that i have figured out why he gave both heli-college and the r22 a bad wrap, I think that he ended up teaching a student that learned on the 22 at helicollege and was mabey not so good of a pilot, I have already recieved emails confirming this sort of thing happening from a couple FW schools, guy says that the archer is no good for time building because one pilot he flew with possesed bad habbits and was turned of of it for ever, flies with another and wham! hes back on the band-wagon,

So please more info, Cole B)

Cole,

Heli College got a bad rep in the industry when the students were going to operators looking for jobs and were asked about full on autos and some of them had never done one. Some of the guys had been in the machine when one was demonstrated by the instructor but never got to do one themselves. I was standing right beside the Chief Pilot when he asked and the student answered. There were other deficiencies as well. This happened about two years ago. Maybe things have changed. Skidz...where is this listing of top rated schools, I'm unfamiliar with it and would like to read it.

...where is this listing of top rated schools, I'm unfamiliar with it and would like to read it.

I based my statement on some articles I read around 2002 or 2003 when I was shopping for a school for myself and on pilot recommendations from this site and others. This is all heresay of course... :)

I think rating schools objectively would be almost impossible, because, although they all cover TC requirements, no two schools go about it the same way...