Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Aspiring pilot advice thread

tobese

50 minutes ago, shakey said:

Ok true, but at 38 with a wife and kid would you encourage a guy to go into this industry at this moment? I sure wouldn't. Unless he's a trust fund kid and a few years of grinding it out won't hurt him financially or he's not really that fond of his wife. 

Lol, definitely not a trust fund kid. Just ten years of military service and a lot of savings. I'll wager a guess that we spend about as much time away from our wives and kids as you gents do as well. 

We could probably grind it out for 2 to 3 years. Plus i was told the helicopter world at least around here is very seasonal and since my trade is in demand I was planning to supplement my income in the army reserves. 

It's all well and good though, I appreciate the input. 

1 hour ago, TwinOtterFan said:

Lol, definitely not a trust fund kid. Just ten years of military service and a lot of savings. I'll wager a guess that we spend about as much time away from our wives and kids as you gents do as well. 

We could probably grind it out for 2 to 3 years. Plus i was told the helicopter world at least around here is very seasonal and since my trade is in demand I was planning to supplement my income in the army reserves. 

It's all well and good though, I appreciate the input. 

That’s a fair reply. Just be aware that it will likely be more than 2 or 3 years of extended tours away from family. In reality, there is a good possibility you will not fly for 2 or 3 years, if ever. 

Once you do get flying: CARs currently allow for a pilot to work 42 days straight, with 5 days off before and after the tour. Then you can be asked to return to work for another 42 days straight. These “days off” do not need to be away from the job site. You just need to have no company assigned duties.

You can do this 6 times per year. While tours are getting better, (and the CARs are changing for air taxi...maybe lol) your employer will likely expect a strong commitment from you early on (as you both try to get you enough hours to work most contracts). Client minimum Flight Time requirements seem to be always increasing, despite the growing shortage of pilots. Aerial work jobs will still be under the limits above even when(if) the new CARs limits do come into effect.

if you do decide to get your licence, choose  your Flight Training Unit wisely and ask them how they log and bill you flight time.

9 minutes ago, Freewheel said:

That’s a fair reply. Just be aware that it will likely be more than 2 or 3 years of extended tours away from family. In reality, there is a good possibility you will not fly for 2 or 3 years, if ever. 

Once you do get flying: CARs currently allow for a pilot to work 42 days straight, with 5 days off before and after the tour. Then you can be asked to return to work for another 42 days straight. These “days off” do not need to be away from the job site. You just need to have no company assigned duties.

You can do this 6 times per year. While tours are getting better, (and the CARs are changing..maybe lol) your employer will likely expect a strong commitment from you early on (as you both try to get you enough hours to work most contracts). Client minimum Flight Time requirements seem to be always increasing, despite the growing shortage of pilots.

if you do decide to get your licence, choose  your Flight Training Unit wisely and ask them how they log and bill you flight time.

That's fair, and I have no issues paying my dues (I've be doing that for almost a decade) and I think if an operator gives you the chance then you need to be all in. But based off what I have been reading I think trying my hand at transitioning to pilot as a serving member makes the most sense, and failing that I think the fixed wing world seems to have a little more of the stability that I may be looking for.  

2 hours ago, shakey said:

Well this industry wants your whole soul. With no pension.

Touche lol, Well the wife bought me an intro flight in a Cessna 172 yesterday for Xmas while we are down on holidays and it was awesome. I still think Rotary would be amazing but I would not complain flying fixed wing the rest of my life. 

Thank you for the input ladies and gents much appreciated.