Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Aspiring pilot advice thread

tobese

11 hours ago, just looking said:

You guys are hilarious. Helicopter crashes in Kaui and kills 7 and not a post or comment. Someone asks about becoming a helicopter pilot and there is 5 pages and 40 comments. What a screwed up forum.

Then go read the news instead of this forum Debby Downer.

• Haha 1

On 12/27/2019 at 10:52 AM, TwinOtterFan said:

That's fair, and I have no issues paying my dues (I've be doing that for almost a decade) and I think if an operator gives you the chance then you need to be all in. But based off what I have been reading I think trying my hand at transitioning to pilot as a serving member makes the most sense,

Without knowing your situation completely, I have to agree with you. Either way it looks like you are doing your research.

As you can see there are more than a few Canadian pilots who have paid for a licence, before they realized the industry was not at all what they expected.

Best of luck with whichever avenue you choose...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freewheel said:

Without knowing your situation completely, I have to agree with you. Either way it looks like you are doing your research.

As you can see there are more than a few Canadian pilots who have paid for a licence, before they realized the industry was not at all what they expected.

Best of luck with whichever avenue you choose...

Yes the "5% on return" or the barely 5% of people that actually make a career out of it from a logical/financial standpoint is not a good enough investment for me to risk. There may be a pilot shortage in both industries but I think the driving factors are far different from what I have gathered, the power that an airline has to push the industry is far greater than the power of private operators. Airlines can influence entire school programs to meet there needs, I just don't see the rotary industry moving in that direction, they almost seem to be like the army was when I joined lol. I think if I was younger I would chance it, but with the current market and what the fixed wing world looks like I think its the right choice for me. Something I can settle into and enjoy.  

I'm also not looking to fly huge jets later either, I will be more than happy flying small medivac up north eventually, the wife wants to move to YellowKnife or even Nunavut she was looking at life in Ranken Inlet and Iqaluit and wants to go now, I think that almost makes it easier for me, not having to leave them behind will be nice.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Some advice...book a flight up to those places before you get in too deep and actually see the life style my friend...I have worked out of all of them...last time was 2 years ago....not something most southerners will call wonderful....cost of living will put you in the poor house if being a low time pilot isn't going to be bad enough! I would stick to looking to work for an airline in the south. I have plenty of friends that went that way and they are going up the ladder very quick with descent scheds and time off.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, GrayHorizons said:

"the wife wants to move to YellowKnife or even Nunavut she was looking at life in Ranken Inlet and Iqaluit and wants to go now"

Be honest, how much had she been drinking when she said that?🥂

Well it turns out we do agree on some things.

• Haha 2