Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

New Fire Rules...

never did the tent thing with AFS.....for fires they always pic a sandpit to park ur maschines never did get that one...but the put up a sprinkler system to keep the dust down. If u have concerns and u bring it up in a proffessinal manner I find AFS very accomodating. Problem is most of the time just complaining and no solutions. I did late starts before when I felt I was to tired... Said to the airboss Hey I`m tired I woulod appriate a couple more hrs off in the morning.....Fire is the weakest then anyways...no problem ...did that with AFS and BC.....u still get ur 8 ball in the afternoon.....if u longline anyways.....

motel atco trailer????

up north I go for the trailer , or wall tent anytime....those motels suck...u never alone in the room.... Motel ****- mariana lake comes to mind... or wandering river......

and if u ask AFS they even put a ac in ur trailer....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of comments which I expected, but no words on company policy as of yet. Is there none?

We can complain, and have the reasons to do so, but will YOUR company back you up if you refuse to check in at "tent city"?

We all know how we feel. but am really curious to see how many companies are willing to stand behind their crews...

Fire again.... :lol::lol:

If true, it would appear that all camps housing helicopters will be based near accessible roads for transportation of a/c fuel. If not, I expect that all folks flying Mediums of whatever sort, will find their flight hours increased.........to sling a/c fuel into those camps. This is the way it was before and perhpas they are reverting back to that system. If anyone might be expecting to see orange AFS tents again, I'd doubt that highly because of the "uprising" that took place in '82 by the Officers themselves in the AFS. Before they went back to that system, they'd have some "Major League" hurdles to clear with their own personnel who "out and out" refused to put up any longer with the system as it had been pre-1982. I am not aware, but would also suggest that AB Workplace and Safety have become a tad more sophisticated and have a few more rules in place on this subject than they did pre-1982. I wouldn't necessarily "jump the gun" JUST yet on this subject. This may all well be something that pertains to AFS crews only.

Skids Up -----and further details or "rumblings" along that line from your end? You're at a Regional HQ, so that should be easy to confirm......get Wally Peters to confirm for ya. I would think that your "esteemed" Ops Manager could also cure that rumour "toute suite" with one phone call. :D

From what I understand we are required to carry a tent " Just in case " we are needed to stay on the fireline. The maximum time on the line is to be 4 days. 4 days in a tent on the fire line is 4 days too much for me. By the way this is not tents in an Atco camp with a nice kitchen trailer and sh*&ters. This is a tent 3 feet from the burn with your IA crew and a lovely rendition of Koom-By-Ya. ( Excuse the spelling ). I cant see it happening. Especially for the mediums. After an 8 hour day my wrench is all over the bird. Unless I fly to town and bring him out to the bush to do an inspection its not going to happen.

I think everyone would agree that when the Tanker Groups start staying in Tents

it will be a sure sign that **** has indeed frozen over.

Why is there such a huge difference in how they treat Heli crews as compared to the Fix wing gang. I know tanker bases are not very portable etc etc, but seems as though they are treated with the respect they deserve. Heli Crews are, well lets just say that there is room for improvement. :down:

Jiggler

Frequent Flyer -----if such is the case then I'll just have to "escape" to the Arctic Islands again or stay out of AB. Sorry, but I "paid my dues" in that regard eons ago and lived in them year 'round, including -30F to -40F. and some other "Joe Dymanic...Hero of the Bush" can take my place. It's the pits when you've turned into an old "wuss" and don't like having to "hang" something out at 3AM to give the mosquitos and Black flies something to chew on. All you other guys are "tough" and I know you won't let our reputation down as being "THE REAL PILOTS" of aviation. I'll be rootin' for ya too Skids Up.......go get'em Tiger! :lol::lol::lol:

I thought that there was someting in the CAR'S that says we have to have some real sleep. If Alberta is going to press this, they might have a hard time trying to talk some companies to fly there. I can remember eons ago with Alpine working a small fire up by Gris Lake and I stayed in a nice one bed room tent for 10 days. I thought that Alberta was in the 21 century. Well boys we will have to stand together to put a stop on this for OUR SAFETY. Later Gents and Gals.

:blink:

Although most is this forum say they won't live in tents there are plenty of helicopter companies and pilots/engineers that will, even if it doesn't meet the requirements of CARS. Its just like hourly rates, everyone complains but when it comes right down to it there is always someone willing to give their machines away for cheaper. That the CAnadian way! :up: