Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

What Is Wrong

Cap, I agree with you totally and have always thought that way. I do beleive Okie in the old days and a few other companies only paid monthly and bush or away from base allowance.

Being a safety nut, I've always beleived that hourly incentive was like dangling a carrot in front of a horse to get him to go faster or produce more when plowing. The horse died of exhaustion.

Cheers, Don

Hey please don't include heli logging in this hours hang up. I can do 14 days and fly approx 110 hours go home for 14 off go back to work fly 1 day and have to deal with the stress of being time x ed. We work lots at logging and the most tiring and stressful part of my job is trying to conform to CARS.The paper work is the worst part of this crazy job but I still love it.

You're right Sisy... your gun is jammed and if it did fire I'm not sure you'd hit anything anyway.

As I understand it, a SMS is one where everyone is responsible for the safety of the operation. It empowers the one at the bottom to put a stop to unsafe practices practiced by anyone, even the owner of a company, with impunity.

The last time I went flying into bad weather I didn't have a customer sitting behind me with a gun to my helmet. I did it because I bent to the pressure I placed on myself, and it wasn't for an extra buck or two. That was quite a while ago because now I don't bend to that pressure, for any reason. Each one of us is blessed with this ability at this very moment, we all but have to make the choice. Being deemed PIC of our aircraft gives us this unquestionable authority.

They spend a small fortune on training and when they emerge from it they have only the rudimentary skills necesarry to take off and land again.

This is an insult. An appology is required and expected.

An extra 50 hours to get "serious" long line and mountain experience is a good start but it's still just a drop in the bucket. And to expect the government to pick up the tab is rediculous. I agree with Hover-Pig on this one. How valuable are these skills for our brothers and sisters flying east of the rockies anyway?

Fatigue is always a concern and it's one that's incidious. One may not realize their dwindling performance due to fatigue until it's too late. As always experience gives the best insight to one's own limits and again the right to refuse a trip due to fatigue is wholly the PIC's. A bigger concern is the number of hours, and the time of day these hours occur, our AME partners put in making sure the aircraft is GTG the next day.

JM2C.

:huh:

The ammunition is so plentiful that it is not possible to fire it all.  The targets are so numerous that it is difficult to know where first to aim.

Transport Canada continues to be the vassals of the aviation establishment...

...sample size is too small.  One would think that the wizards at TC would have some knowledge of elementary statistics, but apparently they do not.

...this happens, helicopters will continue to crash because they are overloaded.

If rules need to be made to ensure the safety of the flying public, TC should just make them... 

Like the mechanism that produces earthquakes,  in which the seismic strain increases until it is released with awful energy, the accumulation of worker frustration and operator and government ineptitude has created the potential for a cataclysm.

Sisyphus:

A few questions that hopefully make it to whatever planet you're on:

You said it best in your opening line... a little self fulfilling prophecy perhaps? Where do you get most of these ridiculous notions?

How big was the sample size for the standard weights? Perhaps you could produce some evidence?

Do you have any knowledge that the "wizards" don't have any statistical skills? Canada is very well known for producing statistics on absolutely everything so it's unlikely in my mind that a simple average weight calculation has been botched. One source of discrepancy is that the averages are from the general public and guys that spend time in logging and oilfield camps are usually way bigger than average. However, like I said in an earlier post, I don't have the slightest care what the standard weights are because I calculate the weight of my machine personally... it's really easy and doesn't take any extra time.

What helicopters are going to cotinue to crash because they are overloaded? Could you please name one?

Your statement that TC should just make the rules is really the height of stupidity. Transport Canada is tasked with regulating the aviation industry to ensure standards of safety and to provide a stable and equitable platform from which we can all work and compete under a common set of guidelines. THEY WORK FOR US. We don't work for them and they are not some deity inspired, omniscient and omnipotent force under which we must toil (I just watched "The Ten Commandments" on TV so I'm feeling a little wrathful..:) TC should always make sure that there is a consultative process, especially since they have proven their ignorance of the real issues on so many occasions.

Why would you want some guys that have almost no knowledge of what you do for a living making rules that affect your livelihood without having any impact whatsoever on safety?

What is this cataclysm you're predicting? Talk about melodramatic...

Why am I bothering?

HV