Looking For Good People And Good Drivers

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, if ten years ago, when the experienced pilot shortage was a known imminent problem, if the operators had started putting low time copilots in their 204s, 205s and 212s, THEY WOULDN'T BE HAVING THIS PROBLEM!!!!!!

Maybe? If companies would hire year around there wouldn't be the mass panic hiring spree in the spring. The whole industry would have to adjust and owners would have to have a solid fiscal organization/plan in order survive.

Isn't looking for people in May a little late? I know you will say you started in January but there isn't anyone applying, but there must be other reasons why they haven't been busting down your doors looking for jobs, no?

Now that the pot is good and stinky I have to get back to work! :up:

I have been working summer and winter for the past 7 years or so... Maybe if there is a pilot shortage, I can negotiate enough money to only work part time... ;)

Ohh... wait. If I make more money, my woman will just spend more.

Back to work I go. :(

Ok everyone Im new and I hope to start my training next year but here is my problem with this.....

How long ( hours ) does it take to be good at longlining??

when Im a 100 hour pilot if I was to do another 100hours of nothing but longlining would I be consitered a good longliner??

If a 1000 hour pilot would make say $50 000/ year

and a 100 hour would LOVE to have $30 000/year

why wouldn't a company hire a low timer and get a 3 year contract signed and pay for his extra 100 longlining and have their new pilot jump hoops for them for that. and they would be trained like you want them to be trained your way and not having any bad habits from other companies??

3 years at $50 000 = $150 000

3 years at $30 000 = $90 000 and $45 000 for the longlining = $135 000 and you are going to have that new guy for 3 full years getting your coffee, washing your car, sweeping the hanger ect for the job you just got him/her????

As a busness opterator you could save some $$$ and not having to look for new people every year?? Im I missing something or am I hoping this will start to happen??when Im done training :up:

JF, because a lot of the clients on longline jobs require the drivers to have a certain amount of hours. i have heard of requirements of 2K+ which if you are a proficient LL pilot with 200hrs you are still not what they want. the other thing is that with 200hrs, you might be able to LL but do you have the experience needed to get the job done safely and as efficiently (sp?) as possible. i'm not saying it's right and that some of these jobs absolutely could not be done by a 200 hr driver but that is the spot between the rock and the hard place that many operators find themselves in.

one of these days something has gotta give and the operators will have to bite the bullet and somehow staff the machines or the industry is in for some rough times.

happy hunting.

The operators WILL be in for a rough time. One of their own making.

However, pilots will be in for a good time. Experienced pilots will finally be earning the jink they should be getting and operators will have to come up with a way for low time guys to gain experience.

It is very true that they will have to come up with something. I have scrapped and scraped for every bit of my 350 hours and that still does not quite get you where you are going.

All of us low time guys out there (well, most) have worked really hard and saved and sacrificed a lot but I went into this with my eyes open and have not regretted a minute of it!

All of us (low time) are willing to be very creative and are open to any option that will get us into a seat at the end. As seem on this forum some would go so far as to work for free with little chance of even a sniff at some stick time. (as an aside please don't do it, you are helping no one and are worth more than that)

If any operators can come up with anything, we are all game!

In fact this gives me an idea for a new thread.