Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Looking For Good People And Good Drivers

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, if ten years ago, when the experienced pilot shortage was a known imminent problem, if the operators had started putting low time copilots in their 204s, 205s and 212s, THEY WOULDN'T BE HAVING THIS PROBLEM!!!!!!

You're right RD but you know what?? They wouldn't, and they didn't and they DO!!! It's only going to get worse as the pig of short sighted policies works its way through the python of the industry.

You're right RD but you know what??  They wouldn't, and they didn't and they DO!!!  It's only going to get worse as the pig of short sighted policies works its way through the python of the industry.

Well put DB! If operators can't service customers due to a lack of experienced drivers, some of those customers may have to find solutions that don't include helicopters! (where possible) :shock: If that happens, that work may never come back. :(

I was speaking to someone yesterday who told me they were working hard lobbying their customers to lower minimums. The problem right now is that some of the larger customers have very high minimums that they apply to all types of flights, whether they be complex long-line, high-altitude or confined area flights or just simple flat, open area flights.

In Quebec, the industry (both fixed and rotary wing) succeeded last year in getting Hydro-Quebec to reduce its minimums considerably. For helicopters, these are now down to 250 hours PIC and 50 hours on type. Of course, no operator in their right mind will send a low-timer to do more complex flying. This has been in effect for over a year now, and to my knowledge, there hasen't been a single incident or accident attributable to these measures...

I wonder if HAC is lobbying large corporations who use helicopters to reduce minimums ? I think there's a whole corporate mind set to change. Customers, their aviation "consultants" and their insurers as well (don't know if it's true, but I've heard some client company's employee health plan insurers have a hand in imposing minimums as well)...

It seems to me that the wrong people are deciding who qualifies for which job.

Shouldn't the various Chief Pilots be dispatching the most appropriate pilots from their stables on each contract? After all, who knows each pilot's strengths and weaknesses better that his or her Chief Pilot?

Or did they do such a poor job at this in the past that the customers had to come up with their own requirements?

Hello and thank you for all the intrest out there.First let me say Im sorry for not being close to the puter the last while but have been busy doing other things.Secondly for those who asked I am not representing any company,nor am I the one who is looking.But I have been told from a few old friends in your crazy industry that V.I.H. is looking and that if you are looking you should contact thier Ops Manager.I say again thier Ops Manager,not the C.P.

Good luck too all.....Mini..