Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Airport Security

Guest Bullet Remington

Rosco:

Now you knock it off son!

I have a reputation as a C.O.B to maintain!! And you sure ain't helpin!!

How ya doing in the barrens on Ontarioooo anyways??

BR

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all honesty, Mags, I went through security at both ends in February and didn't see a huge difference in form, although in substance, American TSA personnel manning security checkpoints were somewhat more competent than the Canadian civilian rent-a-cops.

As far as armed personnel in airports, I didn't see any soldiers in New Jersey or in Santa Anna. The cops are more numerous and visible though.

On the other hand, going through European airports last summer and fall, there were heavily armed anti-terrorist units in all of them. I remember flying out of Frankfurt in 1989 and the Bundeswehr had commandos patrolling at the time. I think North America is just catching up...

well TQN...have you been through canadian security to see the difference?

Nope, ####. I have not. But I can only imagine that airport security procedures in Canada are comparable to those in U.S. airports at present time. I was only saying that the DIA image you display and what you say lead me to believe that both were some time ago and not from present time. Period.

The only military personnel I've seen in airports here since January, and even last summer and fall, were those being deployed overseas or returning home. Only occasionally will one see a tiny handful of armed National Guardsmen at present time and that's only if a new level of heightened security alert has been issued.

BTW, I wasn't being obsessive. I was being defensive of immediate post-9/11 airport security policies and procedures. :) Hoping the third time was the charm here. :rolleyes: -TQN

Hi Danielle,

I travel regularly from Canada to Norway (passing thru Heathrow) and get to see several different Agencies in action. By far the most thorough would be right here in good old St. John's, Newfoundland. Having passes thru both Toronto and Montreal in the past month or two I have found that they even lacked the screening that you receive here.

Heathrow.......well there is another story. I am sure you could take your AK47 threw without as much as a second look from the staff.

Norway ...... not much better, but remember, Norgies are a pretty laid back lot.

I think someone summed it up a little earlier, there is absolutely no consistancy in the process. Has it changed? I believe not, just a lot of windowdressing by our respective goverments.

Just my thoughts. :)

Norway ...... not much better, but remember, Norgies are a pretty laid back lot.

I think someone summed it up a little earlier, there is absolutely no consistancy in the process. Has it changed? I believe not, just a lot of windowdressing by our respective goverments.

Just my thoughts. :)

Got stopped in Stavanger (Norway) a couple of years ago travelling from Heathrow. After he found out I worked at Heathrow he started talking about the TV show they made about the place. It was only when I came to leave (He'd decided not to search my bags) he then asked if I had any drugs in my bag.

Heathrow tends to be most heavily armed early evening when Elal are checking in at T1. I've counted dozens of Armed Police in a smal area then when usually you see 2/4 in the full terminal any other time of the day

B2,

True now you mention it, have seen those police types walking threw T3 too sporting some pretty impressive hardware. Always wondered why though, thought maybe some high profile type was about.

B2,

True now you mention it, have seen those police types walking threw T3 too sporting some pretty impressive hardware. Always wondered why though, thought maybe some high profile type was about.

Most of the Middle East flights leave from T3 (except BA) so that'll probably be why they hover around T3.

Saw one armed cop buying soap from Lush for his missus still sporting the rifle. I dread to think what he'd had done if he wasn't happy with the service

I flew from Vancouver to San Francisco last year. Not work related.

We had to pass through US Customs in Vancouver.

The guy asked if it was ok to open my bags. I said go for it.

He picked it up, and saw the 'Aircrew' tag on it. Asked if I was aircrew. I said my business card is on the back of that tag. He flipped it over, really studied it for about 30 seconds.

Then he said, have a nice flight. Gave it back.

I wasn't working for the airline I was flying on, was on a personal trip, and I fix helicopters.