Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Whats It Going To Take

Every operator wants a pilot with 5000 hours and is endorsed on all types with a great personality and a stellar work ethic!

As this seems to be getting harder and harder to find a sollution needs to be found.

Operators have a lot of things to do and have limited time to ponder how to bring low time pilots up to speed and get a return on their investment. on this forum alone there is a wealth of experience and talent that is untapped. Not just from people with experience in Helicopter operations alone but from all the other occupations that many have had. Many of the low time pilots have a wealth of knowledge and experience in many fields that can be utilized. Most of us are quite intelligent and have plenty of time to find sollutions if we know the exact problems.

instead of just saying it is difficult to do, lets work on it as the benifits are for both.

I suggest the following:

As an operator, post all the problems that you have trying to hire someone with low time for your particular company. I don't mean saying "I can't do it because (insert reason here__________)", but list the problems that need to be overcome.

- costs

- customer requirements

- safety

- etc.

Anyone with sollutions to each particular problem could post an idea and then the flaws in those can be spotted and the sollutions modified. Eventually the problem could be solved.

impossible? So was forward flight in a helicopter before the radical thinking of Juan de la Cierva

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The truth is every high time experienced pilot started working for some company with 0 hours of commercial flying experience.

Its sort of the chicken and the egg senario.

By the way that old argument about which came first the chicken or the egg is simple, it was the rooster.

Rev.. C.W.

:) Your two cents worth SOB is right on........also what is making it tough for the newbies is a saturated market of low time pilots. More schools have arisen and are pumping them out like puppy mills! This is not to say that there is not a requirement for more "fresh young blood", but is also adds to the competition out there for jobs. Patience and time...... for those who have it, it will pay off.... ;)

Helilog - But what gets me is that during my travels I drop in and visit many schools, not telling them who I am or what I do and ask them about the chances of getting a job once I get my licence. Nearly every single one of them basically promises me their first born that I will get a job if I train with them.

Now shouldnt there be some sort of code of ethics (I know - stop laughing) that schools have to be realistic when telling potential students about the chances of a job.

Its like the old saying goes, its now what you know but who you know and networking in this industry is the name of the game.

Heli Ops

Helilog - But what gets me is that during my travels I drop in and visit many schools, not telling them who I am or what I do and ask them about the chances of getting a job once I get my licence. Nearly every single one of them basically promises me their first born that I will get a job if I train with them.

Now shouldnt there be some sort of code of ethics

:rolleyes::lol::D Heliops.....now stop it......I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard... :lol::P:lol:

Sorry to dissagree Heli-Ops, but the school I went to was very forthright in telling me what the job prospects are.

I also did a lot of research before diving in. So I knew exactly what I was getting myself into...doesn't make it easier, slogging it out... :(

Bottom line: I know I'm going to make it in this industry sooner or later. Just gotta keep the moral up, keep knocking on doors...

Skidz - Not saying every single one did, but the majority did. Maybe you came across some that do tell the prospective student a realistic answer but I would challenge you to get the same answers from many flight schools south of the border.

Heli Ops

stop by our school my friend and i can assure you of a different answer....

we tell EVERY prospective student that not only are there no guarantees but if anyone tells you there is RUN, run away from that school as fast as you can as they are feeding you a line of s#*t as soon as you walk in the door :angry:

SOB really nailed it on the head :up: if you want it bad enough, it's out there and when you get it, you'll have earned it and will cherish it.........

Heli-ops

I'll agree with you, most schools (not all) are not really honset with everyone that walks through the door.

I have walked into a few schools looking around and ask a few questions and inquire about training with out telling them who I was.

It really made me angre to hear them say there are lots of jobs out there, well I guess they kinda told the truth just didnt say that all the jobs were for high timers.

I remember how tough it is to get that first job. Not everyone asks the important questions when looking at the schools for a career in aviation, like us that came straight out of high school into training not knowing any better just believe everything we are told.

I have a good friend that runs a school and I'm always on him to be honest with his students about how tough it is, He has even asked me to talk to some of his students about the industry, It doesnt seem to hurt his busness at all he stays busy all the time.