Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Lightning Strike

Guest bag swinnger

'407 too,' I haven't met anyone yet that actually likes the fact that so many of us rely on forest fires for our livelihood but, as long as the provinces insist on battling Mother Nature, there'll be helicopters used to help, and surely the folks that drive or fix them are every bit as entitled to the related income as someone who fells, yards or sells trees. Let's keep a realistic sense of proportion, eh? As the saying goes, "It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it!"

this is off topic, but i DO have to interject in the "light 'em up" mentality  :hide:

i know this is a make or break season for companies, but please be carefull what you wish for, it just might come true !!!

talk to the people who have lost everything due to wildfires, they will be greatful you tried to interject and put out the fires, but PLEASE do not wish for them B)

with the amount of beetle kill in the central interior of BC, most starts will be something of a major fire in no time flat.

there are many economically based forests around and workers and recreationists depend on them.

if you can direct the fires (cigars) to areas of non-concern then fly your guts out.

sorry for the rant  :o

DOWNWASH, quoted post in case your mouse schroll wheel is broken, :) where do you read any complaints about helicopter use on fires ??

i actually made a comment as to endorsement of helicopter use !!

the only analogy i can think of, is a lawyer in view of an altercation(sp?), i don't care if he thinks in his mind, "good, i've witnessed this case, now i can defend it"

as opposed to yelling out loud "shoot him, shoot him"

don't you see any difference ??

Maybe it's just my getting more and more tired as the week progesses, '407 too,' but statements like:

"the "light 'em up" mentality"

"be carefull (sic) what you wish for, it just might come true"

"PLEASE do not wish for them"

and

"if you can direct the fires (cigars) to areas of non-concern then fly your guts out"

seem to me to be very much opposed to our wanting/needing to address the type of work that unfortunately has to be done. Admittedly, not all years are 'fire years,' but those don't do much for the crews and operators who have, rightly or wrongly, staked their existence on chasing fire.

And, yes, I guess I'm even thicker than usual, because your analogy completely fails to work for me, but thanks for the effort. Maybe this is one of those items on which we just have to agree to disagree.

Have a great weekend. Those of us waiting for fires will - because there just aren't any to speak of right now.