Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Which helmet to go with???

New pilot looking to get his first helmet. 

Recently a pilot almost talked me into an evo 252. I haven’t ordered it yet as I’m still trying to decide. I think he wants me to get one so he can also check it out, because he’s also curious and currently owns a Gallet LH250.

Evo 252, Gallet LH250, Alpha Eagle, Gentex HGU-84..??????????

Any other helmets I should be considering??

I’d also like to have the Bose A20 installed. 

Has anyone made the switch to the Evo from one of the others mentioned and liked their decision?

• 1 month later...

Don’t get hung up on visors, pun intended. A single visor is often preferable to the duals, especially if it’s internal (Gallet LH050 style).

This said the first dozen years I’ve run an SPH5 dual visor and it’s pretty well worn out and overdue for a refit. I’ll replace it soon I suspect with a LH050 as the dual visor is aggravating in the astar.

Moral of my story is I’d keep it simple in the start as the first one will last you are least a decade. And shakey is right don’t blow the wad on the first lid, whatever you get is going to work for a long, long time. When you get to specialized work you’d like something smaller / lighter / etc for your affordable SPH5 of HGU will be ready to be replaced.