Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Hello... Hello... This Thing On?

Hmm, I should rated on one. Any idea how long it takes to get it? Oh, and would I fit? I am quite tall, and fairly broad shouldered. (I can''t comfortably fly a 150) YKZ used to have a few Katanas, but they got rid of em after a year or so. One of the guys said that they were more expensive to maintain than the 150''s

The problem is that I don''t fly enough to keep rental currency and all types and ratings. Ideally, I can kill two birds with one stone by flying at night, but that still means flying at least 2 planes a month. Its sorta why I don''t think I will do my float rating, then I''d have to fly floats, at night ;)

Fortunately, the rental folks have been good about a few days here or there. I hate having to cut costs this way, but you do what you gotta do.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 4/27/2003 10:01:53 PM schteevie wrote:

I like the new planes. they have seven 172Rs and two katana eclipses - they are a bit more expensive then the older planes, but all these new planes have awesome new digital radios with top notch panel mounted GPS - and of course the "brand new car smell" that makes those shakey newby passengers a lot less uneasy about a "first flight"; it's a big change from the late 60's early 70's model aircraft I used to always be renting ... I got tired of having to explain that just because the vinyl was torn and the plastic was cracked, and there were lots of funny creaking noises, the plane is still safe ...

----------------

Hi Schteevie,

If you like the new planes (and who wouldn't?!), don't waste your time and money with a tailwheel checkout. Those old relics can't begin to compare with the late model aircraft you're enjoying now. 2.gifSwingline

Hey Swingline, this is just gonna get Charles W. going you know :) Common Charles, don''t take that sitting down.

On a side note, anyone fly out of Markham? I keep bumping into stuff all over that seems to indicate that got some interesting planes over there, from vintage to experimental. Confirmation? Or should I just so visit them and take my digital cam.

Hey Guys:

Naw, I don''t get at all upset when talking about airplanes.

I only get upset by Idiots and people who are windup artists and only post to get a reaction.

I also like modern well equipped airplanes. But even older aircraft can be refurbished to look as good as new and there is no end to electronic toys you can buy for them.

I use a 1976 Cessna Aerobat converted to the Texas Taildragger with the high gear.

It has a new engine, almost new paint and a renewed interior.

For Nav Aids it has a VOR and two GPS''s .... One Airmap 300 and an Anywheremap running on an Ipac PDA.

As soon as I finish another overseas contract I am going to put the Anywhere Attitude indicator in it, that will be the equivelant of a glass cockpit.... and that of course costs money and my wife won''t gve any more so I have to work for it.

Oh I forgot ...it also is equipped with a camcorder that I use for debreifing after the training flights, nothing beats a movie of what you just did.

Best training device I have ever used.

So..you can see I am not upset, but I teach recovery from upsets.

Chas W...Retired Merc..

Just by the way, not all taildraggers are old and worn out. I trained on a 1 year old Citabria which was certainly a sweet flying little bird. Being aerobatic, it was very responsive and a joy to handle. And while I haven''t flown one, there are Maules, Huskys, the new Luscombe and a number of others out there to enjoy.

My only advice would be, don''t take the conversion if there isn''t a plane nearby that you can rent/use afterwards. While the training itself will make you more aware of crosswinds and fine tune your landings (HAVE to be straight and without drift), it is an extra expense if there''s not a plane to use afterwards.

I too love Anywhere Map, but I think it will make me sloppy if I am not careful. I mean, I can do a flight plan in under a minute, including fuel burn, heading, ETA, ETE.... It sucks to have to pull out the paper and whiz wheel and take and hr to do the same thing.

Then, I clamp it to the yoke and the GPS tells me in a nice huge green line just where to go. As I fly, it reminds me to switch tanks, lookout for obstacles... How sweet is that? Yes, I pull out my map, yes I draw lines on it and mark my check points. The more I fly with it, the more I think, "Why bother with the paper?" The I think, what if it dies....

Long and short, I use the paper as a backup.

A part of me is just a little jealous of it, the machine sorta makes me feel like less of a pilot. At times, I just like to shut off the tech and fly the plane. Now when the weather gets bad, give me all the aids I can handle.

Some day, I really wanna take something like a NORDO Jenny up and be one with plane and sky.

Guest graunch1

Let''s see here CW. Definition of a Taildragger - the quickest way to reduce one''s ego to a severe minus. "What in **** is the runway doing out the left window - no wait!! out the right Window- whoops no wait, its back on the left"!!!!!

Learned to fly in a C120, most fun I ever had after I got my brain back to the tailwheel