Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Aspiring Pilot/AME

Hi All,

I am 28 y/o male who has worked in the helicopter industry in Canada for the past decade as a low time pilot, never building many hours, in 2016 decided to go back to school for maintenance and since have only worked in heavy maintenance on the AS350. I am a couple months from writing my regs exams. 

Looking for thoughts and comments on how best to apply my skills going forward. Is it beneficial to market myself as a Pilot / AME or will I be treated worse if I am hired to do both? So far I have been treated 100% better as an apprentice than low time pilot.

Once again...this has been kicked around on here several times...but as a pilot/eng I did what ray has mentioned....spent most winter inside a medium hellhole saying what am I doing here...I had thousands of hours and an M1/M2 license...I was not happy even though I was home all winter. Summers I was away pretty much non stop. Not treated well...engineer/pilot thing...you will only have pilot/eng friends....I worked on 204/205 for over 10 years..I have explained why I never got an endorsement to fly a medium...you probably will have better luck getting more flying if you have the wrenching licence but be forewarned...you will go on jobs that are far from civilization and forgotten about...oh and 2 jobs...1 pay!...

• Like 2

Get the Regs exam done and then get a job with a reputable company that runs Astars in the bush and get some quality field maintenance and some endorsements to add to your heavy maintenance experience. That way you'll be in the bush learning a lot about bush flying (by observing) and honing your skills as an AME. If you're trusted and regarded as as AME, I promise you that they'll give you a chance to fly. When that time does come though, it'll be up to you to know your checklists and procedures and you may only get one opportunity to impress. 

Basically, get good at one before you jump across to the other or you'll forever be thought of as a hack at both.

• Like 2

Well...hope it works out for you...I ended up being pretty well respected by both sides...liked...that remains to be seen. I still remember being told by someone when I was pulling apart an engine...this with thousands of hrs of fire work, slinging and spraying...hey you really do know what you are doing...not sure if it was a joke...but...good luck!     Doug Potts

CCF00172006_00003 (2).jpg

On 2/18/2020 at 6:09 PM, Heli_fix said:

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen, I Have to admit I’m not crazy about the two jobs one pay part. Although at this point continuous employment is a bonus. These days all I can think about is flying, so if it’ll get me back in the right seat I’m up for the challenge.  

It’s only two jobs, one pay if you let it be. As a pilot/eng I’ve never been put in that situation, and don’t plan to. For what it’s worth, I also have never been laid off in this industry. Qualified engineers are seemingly hard to come by these days