Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bush Stories

Well this past weekend I was cooking eggs for my 70 hungry cadets on a bush exercise when I started thinking about what helicopter flying in romote areas is really like. I thought I'd start this discussion on bush stories for those of you who have done flying in the wilderness of Canada. I'd love to hear anything from the everyday life you experince in the field to any funny stories that you may have. So now I turn it over to you who have better stories than "I saw a Griffon fly over me and got a Griffon patch from a pilot"......

Well for a bunch of cadets it would be sleeping in sleeping bags on the ground with a tarp tied to a tree as your (ineffective) shield from the rain. Using Coleman stoves for cooking and spending our days marching from place to place learning (or teaching in my case) basic survival stuff such as shelter building and lantern safety. We'll do some leadership training and practical application of the leadership classes. If we're lucky we get to have a night op where we do capture the flag or something at 1am(ish). This is all done at a military base (in my case the forest of Borden). Our stories tend to involve cadets being set on fire (by accident of course...) and mishaps involving the radio and Borden Range control. So that’s my bush experience. Now onto the stories from those who have been out in the bush on a real job.

Substitute tired, hungry pilot or engineer for cadet, and fire camp for military ground, multiply by ten, and you know all you need to know. Almost anyone with enough real bush experience would have difficulty picking one of their numerous 'experiences' to take the time and, I suspect, anyone that has 'one' to tell, has just that, one. I suggest you look up some of the excellent books written by 'bush pilots,' fixed and rotary wing, and get a reliable picture. B)

Guest graunch1
I'd contribute some of my "bush" experiences, but they're all for "mature" audiences...  :lol:

Most of mine are the the same. Specifically one wet spring in Fart Smith with everyone on spec and various tricks happening courtesy of Freddy H and others :up:

The same thing for Inuvik at any time in the 70s

I'd contribute some of my "bush" experiences, but they're all for "mature" audiences...  :lol:

Now that wasn't subtle enough was it.... :rolleyes:

You sure nobody has anything that stands out from working the bush?

BTW Cole...I'm not from Borden...I just train there on weekends...but give me a unit and it might be possible to send him a shout for you