Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Getting NOTAMs in 2020 is Brutal

Is it just me? Or is getting NOTAMs in 2020, since Nav Canada transitioned to the ICAO format using the Collaborative Flight Planning Services (CFPS), very cumbersome and bringing lots of irrelevant NOTAM messages?

It's supposed to be "geographically-referenced, rather than based on NOTAM Files." according to Transition to ICAO NOTAM format and new NOTAM Series

However, if I enter two airdromes in Canada in the CFPS, for example a flight from CYMM to CER4, I get NOTAM files for flying around Syria and Libya, really ⁉️

I'm sure it's discouraging many VFR pilots from even checking NOTAMs before every flights as there's just too much info.

What's more, these irrelevant NOTAMs for Libya, Syria and not flying Boeing 737-8 are listed twice, once for each aerdrome.

Has anyone come up with a method to obtain only relevant NOTAMs  before going on a flight?

I'm usually more concerned with FIR NOTAMs (closing  off zones due to forest fires or military exercises, drone activity etc...).

In the AWWS, I used to be able to put the FIR I was interested in like CZEG, and get all the notams or that flight information region. Now If I do that I get hundreds of messages, would take a whole day to read through all of those.

I guess I'll use Foreflight for NOTAMs, since Nav Canada have become useless.

I may have found a better alternate, the FAA NOTAM search which seems to also work for Canada: https://notams.aim.faa.gov/notamSearch/nsapp.html

If I enter the aerodromes and/or a FIR (CZVR-VANCOUVER, CZEG-EDMONTON, CZWG-WINNIPEG, CZYZ-TORONTO, CZUL-MONTREAL, CZQM-MONCTON, CZQX-GANDER-DOMESTIC, CZQX-GANDER-OCEANIC), I seem to only get the relevant NOTAMs for that FIR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1