Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

TC grants aviation medical extensions till Aug 01st

Talked to TC last week on Thursday, most of whom just got the necessary set-up to work from home, and they said if your medical had already expired rather than it's going to during this period, they is no chance of renewal prior to the possibility of their returning to work end of May at the earliest to process (if you get a CAT 1 appointment at all). Your license is invalid in the interim, only currently valid medicals due to expire qualify for the extension. Not sure of the exact date this came into force, but was certainly the case last week.

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke with a friend yesterday that does fixed wing water bomber flying...he did his medical yesterday...had to go thru Ottawa TC medical doctor...he is deemed essential  service...they..TC...lined him up with a doctor and he got it done.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a Class 1 medical on Monday. ECG was done today.

My medical had expired and was not eligible for the extension TC is granting. I spoke with Transport last week and they are still processing medicals. Its trying to find a Doctor to see you that is the problem.

• 1 month later...

I renewed mine via FaceTime, but at the same time the attestation was announced which meant the medical was redundant for me. Mine expired in April, which was within the eligibility window, so my AME just filled out the form free of charge.  Feels weird not having a stamp in the book though.

On 6/18/2020 at 2:35 AM, ruby26 said:

TC will likely extend again to the shoulder season,

They just did, a few weeks ago.  Expiry are now 12 months from initial expiry for the under 40 crowd as long as you had a valid medical at the time and meet the conditional requirements and sign an attestation of fitness.   Otherwise you can do a renewal via videoconference / facetime with your aviation doc.

More details here:  https://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/regserv/Affairs/exemptions/docs/en/3304.htm

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2020 at 6:07 PM, whippersnapr said:

They just did, a few weeks ago.  Expiry are now 12 months from initial expiry for the under 40 crowd as long as you had a valid medical at the time and meet the conditional requirements and sign an attestation of fitness.   Otherwise you can do a renewal via videoconference / facetime with your aviation doc.

More details here:  https://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/regserv/Affairs/exemptions/docs/en/3304.htm

One of the conditional requirements is no restrictions on your licence. "Glasses must be worn or must be available" is listed as a restriction on the sticker, so I assume that means if you have that, then the attestation would not apply. Correct?

2 hours ago, Outwest said:

One of the conditional requirements is no restrictions on your licence. "Glasses must be worn or must be available" is listed as a restriction on the sticker, so I assume that means if you have that, then the attestation would not apply. Correct?

Good question.  I have the glasses restriction on my license, and my AME didn't question it, he filled out the attestation and my TC portal shows it currently as valid.  Your mileage may vary.

The restrictions that are disqualifying for doing this are listed as:

Limitations and Restrictions

Holders of medical certificates bearing any of the following limitations or restrictions are required to undergo a medical examination pursuant to the conditions of this exemption:

• a) License restricted;
  • b) Permit restricted;
  • c) 3 months only;
  • d) 6 months only;
  • e) 9 months only;
  • f) 12 months only;
  • g) 24 months only;
  • h) Subject to letter dated;
  • i) Private Pilot License (PPL) privileges – 12 months only;
  • j) Valid only when another air traffic controller available and competent to assume your duties;
  • k) With an accompanying pilot;
  • l) Not valid for Civil Aviation Medical Examiner (CAME) renewal.

Cheers

W.