Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

CH148 Cyclone missing on ops

Blackmac 

How do your comments relate to the tragedy involving the Cyclone and the loss of 6 lives? My posts were put forth to inform the community of a military helicopter accident that unfortunately resulted in a tragic loss of life for all souls on board. You then discuss some personal grudge against the military procurement and contracting system - zero value added.

GrayHorizons

TSB and DFS (Directorate of Flight Safety) are separate entities, both bound by separate and distinct rules and regulations. Detailed TSB reports are for civilian consumption; Detailed DFS reports are for military consumption - you'll have to make do with the "redacted fluff" I'm afraid.

rnkelly

Well said.

17 hours ago, rnkelly said:

It’s a new aircraft, obviously they aren’t going to have many hours on type. Seaking pilots transitioned to the cyclone, how else are you going to implement a new aircraft?

Some of the comments are disappointing to hear from experienced flyers. Casually remarking buzzing the tower as a possible cause and conspiracy under tones, really?

I’ll wait for the report and then make my judgments, I do hope there will be lessons learned so things like this can be avoided in the future. 

RIP crew and condolences to family and friends.

Guess you have a hard time reading from the beginning of the comments made, I was not in any way belittling the pilots due to having little time on type, that goes to our politicians (government)  and DND trying to be smarter or just plain stupid, people die.

Something has to be done with Parliament as whole and quit acting like a bunch of  rectum rectifiers, including DND.

You can expect a report from DND in about ten years, after they find who or what to blame.

We are so far behind the eight ball with our Military, which, is caused to a great degree by the bickering from the provinces and all the taxpayers across the country.

Why doesn't  ICELAND adopt  Canada.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jullian said:

Please stop comparing apples and oranges. Yes you are awesome moving a drill but these guys go offshore in the middle of the night in a snowstorm trying to save someone. My hat is off.

I have no idea were you get your info from, but of hand, no pilot in his right frame of mind,.. would fly offshore in the weather that you are talking about. When I was in the Navy in the fifties, I spent three years doing search & rescue flying in S-55 and HUP-3, we went offshore, single engine, no floats, just wearing a may west and doing what you had to do. One day we got called out to crash site of Sea Fury , not to far from the base. He was doing continuous loops and went straight in, I picked up his helmet with his head still in it. 

The whole idea of Search and Rescue is, you do not put more people in danger, unless you are 95% sure you can complete the mission.

They call it Risk Management today.

The Cyclone Pilots are submarine chasers not S&R.

Don

PS:Try not to make every person in uniform a hero, they volunteered, and knew exactly what they were getting into. The Korean war was on when I and lot other guys did the same thing. We were not chosen because we were HEROs.

• Like 1

Heros....hum. May be out of the topic...But even a civil can become a hero been there done that bought the t-shirt ...Rwanda war 1994 .Buddy and I where heroes for a few days .Got the helicopters belong to the contractor out of there during the peak of the war, those where flying for UN.not to long after we became  zero.Guest wrong place wrong moment.PILOT LIFE.

PS.Why we did that???up to these day no answer.

Canadian Forces personel who witnessed this accident have said the Cyclone was conducting a high speed, low altitude pass near the HMCS Fredricton when the crash occurred. The CVR and FDR have been recovered, the Canadian Forces are not discussing information publicly or releasing any statements from eye witnesses?

Hmmm??

My thoughts are with the crew members families.

10 hours ago, jullian said:

My comments were only trying to show a little respect for the aircrew that lost their lives far from home.  

Heroes are people that go to war and get killed and or injured, a nurse or doctor risking their lives during pandemics, fire fighter going into a blazing inferno to rescue people, not people that risk (Pax) or other crew members that rely on the safety of flight to show off what great pilots they are. How many G;s were they putting on the a/c when they pulled up. Who ever on board the ship requested that maneuver needs there head read.

THE REAL HEROES IN THIS WHOLE INCIDENT ARE THE FAMILIES THAT HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE CONSEQUENCES OF THEIR ACTIONS.  

WHAT TO DO NOW 

MAY PEACE BE WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

Don McDougall