Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

CH148 Cyclone missing on ops

"the aircraft did not respond as the crew would have anticipated"

is this information recovered from the voice and data recorders?

if it is, they should be clear on that.

if it's an assumption, then they shouldn't be publishing that, because its not fact. but it follows the typical form of information release, misleading and redirecting.

From what I have read the helicopter did a fly by on the left side of the ship and then did a left turn to line up with the rear of the boat...I take it the pilot in command was sitting on the right side of the helicopter...why would you turn away from the boat especially if this was at night...I would have turned to the right and kept the boat in sight...not sure if anyone else agrees but I have a few thousand hrs spraying and a right turn would be easier than a left turn and at night down low I would not want to loose sight of that boat.

2 hours ago, GrayHorizons said:

if it's an assumption, then they shouldn't be publishing that, because its not fact. but it follows the typical form of information release, misleading and redirecting.

You have hit the nail on the head, DND and Parliament have screwed the TAXPAYER from day one on any purchase for the Military.

On any Major Military procurement there should be an industry over site committee formed with the Military prior to issuing an ITQ, and from there form a realistic requirement for an RFP. 

The Military and the patronage ridden politicians always seem to get together to screw every purchase possible.

The only ones that are not screwed up are the ones purchased on a Sole Source Basis.

Has anybody questioned the following:

The length of time it took to replace the  Sea King with the Cyclone (including Mods to the original proposal), The modifications to the original FAA approved B412 (griffon), patronage contract to update a useless machine, in guess whose riding, the actual purchase of Aussie aircraft and rebuilding, instead of of buying the Boeing Hornet, and the list goes on.

SOMEBODY NEEDS TO WAKE UP    

6 hours ago, GrayHorizons said:

The recorders were recovered, everything is on there.  From the data they can recreate the entire sequence within minutes of download.  I'm guessing that they already know exactly what happened, not to mention all the eyewitnesses and radar data.  This well be the last we hear of it for a year though at least.  Since it's military they can just bury it anyways and we may never hear about it. 

The fellow that was interviewed was a retired Colonel and former SeaKing pilot as well as the former Commanding Officer of 423 squadron. I don't think they can crack down on retired military folks but I could be wrong.