Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Universal along with Lake Else closed.

DGP

20 minutes ago, twinstar_ca said:

Seems we missed Peace, Skully... fill us in... i know you used to drive for them.... saw you in YQW and outside of YQR... think I still have the ball cap!! 👍

Don’t kill messenger but was started originally by Gordon Oliver, named Oliver Helicopters in Peace River, machine was 350D, GOLV. She is still around somewhere as BA. Gordon told me he put 1200 hours on OLV the first year. No idea the year. Nice light machine. Oliver Helicopters became Peace Helicopters owned by John Preddy and I think one other. Somewhere along the line John left and Adrian Erickson was owner. Northern Mountain began operating the company for bank and then bought the company. I was chief pilot from 95 or 95 until just before went bankrupt and took Peace along with. Like 2003 or 04. Not sure dates. 

22 hours ago, MEOB said:

I spent 10 years with the old UHNL before it was sold, some of the best days of my career! Sad to hear the news today. End of an era! PW (lady K 😉) and later GG knew how to run an aviation business and what worked. The new management ran it into the ground with horrible decisions, wasting money in useless places and chasing international pipe dreams that did nothing but cost money they didn’t have while the little bit of local work that was still left got the cold shoulder. I feel bad for the guys and gals that were left behind. Lots of good people in there. 

I enjoyed my days in Goose Bay in the late 70s and early 80s with PW and dear Lady K

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 4:34 PM, MEOB said:

I spent 10 years with the old UHNL before it was sold, some of the best days of my career! Sad to hear the news today. End of an era! PW (lady K 😉) and later GG knew how to run an aviation business and what worked. The new management ran it into the ground with horrible decisions, wasting money in useless places and chasing international pipe dreams that did nothing but cost money they didn’t have while the little bit of local work that was still left got the cold shoulder. I feel bad for the guys and gals that were left behind. Lots of good people in there. 

Isn't that the truth MEOB. Ive never seen such poor management when Universal bought Lakelse Air. Everything was shoot from the hip decisions, non rev flights were way too common and the far fetched dreams included picking up space shuttle parts with Long Rangers. Lakelse Air was a nice, profitable company with an excellent management team and group of pilots and engineers before they were acquired by Universal. Unfortunately the old owner got into some financial trouble with his construction company and had to sell the helicopters. Sad to see both companys go. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, skullcap said:

Don’t kill messenger but was started originally by Gordon Oliver, named Oliver Helicopters in Peace River, machine was 350D, GOLV. She is still around somewhere as BA. Gordon told me he put 1200 hours on OLV the first year. No idea the year. Nice light machine. Oliver Helicopters became Peace Helicopters owned by John Preddy and I think one other. Somewhere along the line John left and Adrian Erickson was owner. Northern Mountain began operating the company for bank and then bought the company. I was chief pilot from 95 or 95 until just before went bankrupt and took Peace along with. Like 2003 or 04. Not sure dates. 

You would know my old college friend Russ Duhn?

On 5/28/2020 at 1:47 PM, skullcap said:

Nice to know the history of GOLV.  I am still flying her out of Fort St John for Yellowhead now.  Great helicopter.  She has just north of 22,000 hrs now.

• Like 1

It's pretty amazing how dynamic this industry has been.  

The old saying "the helicopters stay the same but the name changes" still holds true.  

CGRGY is still in commercial service, along with many others from the 80s and even 70s I'm sure. 

Check out the civil aircraft registry online and look at your aircraft's history.