Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Convert UTM to MGRS

55 minutes ago, Saifan Pilot said:

What UggaDugga posted is a good explanation.

You can use apps to do the conversion for you, like: https://itunes.apple.com/app/gps-coordinate-converter/id1093539831?mt=8

Thanks, I did download that app and it is is helpful. What I'm trying to figure out is, if you are given UTM format, how to quickly enter it onto an iPad on Foreflight. Foreflight only has MGRS format, so you would have to convert it on the app, it takes too long. I asked Foreflight if they can add UTM as an another option on the Units/Time Coordinates page.

I ran into the same frustrating problem. The is a pretty straight forward relation between the northing and easting values.

Problem is the zone letters, would be more complex, you would probably need a chart ro reference for those zones.

Many pilots asked ForeFlight to add UTM, but they seem to refuse to recognize that a metric grid system exists to reference coordinates.

So I created an app that converts UTM waypoint and exports it directly into ForeFlight, it got pretty good feedback but some pilots asked me to add Ontario MNR grid reference style (ONMNR), so I added it to that app as well.:

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/utm-for-flight/id1241701167

54 minutes ago, Saifan Pilot said:

I ran into the same frustrating problem. The is a pretty straight forward relation between the northing and easting values.

Problem is the zone letters, would be more complex, you would probably need a chart ro reference for those zones.

Many pilots asked ForeFlight to add UTM, but they seem to refuse to recognize that a metric grid system exists to reference coordinates.

So I created an app that converts UTM waypoint and exports it directly into ForeFlight, it got pretty good feedback but some pilots asked me to add Ontario MNR grid reference style (ONMNR), so I added it to that app as well.:

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/utm-for-flight/id1241701167

Bingo Saifan Pilot,  a friend told me about that app today. Thanks!

• 1 month later...