Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Icefield Helicopter Tours

Guest sharky

Guest sharky

Anybody ever ''worked'' there?

(replace ''worked'' with ''volunteered'')

What did you think? PM me if need be

Flinger, stop laughing...

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest sharky

Based out of Lake Louise, AB, and have a heliport at Cline River, an hour or so west of Rocky Mtn house on #11.

Just want to see if there''s any former/present staff out there. Particularly groundcrew. Did your charity work help your career? Or did you leave feeling used and abused?

Just curious.

Sharky, if by charity you mean working for little or no remuneration. Don''t do it ever, for anybody.

Anyone that would work for nothing obviously has no respect for themselves and consequently their employer and present and future co-workers will have no respect for them either. Such a person would also be dragging down the wages of the industry in general which wouldn''t endear them to the rest of the helidogs as well.

I wouldn''t even mention it again. There are others out there that are not so nice as me. M.S.S. might even get wind of what you said.

Guest sharky

Yeah reddog, you hit the nail on the head. I just hope that people don't think that they have to accept conditions like that just to break into the industry. Run far away!

As for M.S.S...he may be running the place...I thought I saw a car with Iraqi plates on it when I pulled in there yesterday. And the front office smelled like 'wet dog' 9.gif

Ok I''ve stopped laughing. 3 days later.

Just so

others know, the company works a little like this; You get hired as ground crew. I guess the job covers the usual GC duties like ship washing, tolit scrubbing, buying coffee and donut etc. For this, you are rewarded with free accomidation, free food, and NO MONEY.

If they still like you aAfter a year or two, you are again rewarded (this time for stupidity) and they allow you to pay for your own PPC, at charter rates. Then they pay you a handsome $25/hr flt pay only.

**** it.. The laffing has started again..

Who would do this?

Is this for real?? Although I am a lowtimer and have worked for little...actually probably closer to nothing..I have always came out with a little something extra...few hours here or there each year and a little bit of money in my pocket and a few beers on the company credit card. But this is insane. I could see working on the ground for one or two years and then earning your way to the cockpit but this method simply won''t work. Who the heck is going to pay the insurance rates for a lowtimer....what insurance company will actually let you take the company astar out with passengers with only 100 hours. And paying for your own PPC...you have to have rocks in your head...and how do you expect to pay for this PPC...I mean its not like you have made a dime in the last 2 years. I sure wouldn''t mind actally meeting a pilot who did this and actally got flying. Heres a link to company that I found. www.icefieldhelicoptertours.com