Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Icefield Helicopter Tours

Guest sharky

Vertical Ref.

Okay, I know what you mean. Yes, I have flown in the production enviroment for a short while. Never been a fan of somebody watching me against the stop watch.

Yes, you are right with the egos. Trying to make everyone else look bad.

They will always be here in the industry and it is a sad thing.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No different than the company that will sell a 212 for $1500/hr while the rest of the outfits run a tariff of $2500/hr. whats the difference?

The hundred hour pilot is not the problem. he has paid 40 to 50 K to fly a helicopter...now he can fly a helicopter and it does not cost him a thing!!! sounds a lot better than paying to fly does it not?

The newbie is not the problem... the problem is the idiot that is extorting him!!! He knows better and is the reason for the problem. Too bad the industry did not have the clout to run these morons out of buisness!!!

As far as pilots "padding" time to look good...if you have never heard of this before then you have never flown in a production environment!  its called "ego" and job security!  reference one of the last articles in the previous helicopters mag by venturi!

Looks around, there are dozens and dozens of egos out there!!!

The only one i know of for sure that is not, is a guy by the name of "Vardy". did a "flight path" segment where not only infront of his cynical peers, but also the whole TV viewing audience, admitted that what he does (did ) was not easy and caused him to sweat every now and then, occasionally scaring the crap out as well! never padded a 0.1 his whole career i''m sure! too bad this type of individual is not an owner/operator. would work for him any day!

bottom line is can you look at yourself in the mirror at the end of the day? 100 hours or 10,000 hours...no difference.

hey Biggzie buddy where you at fella,

where ya be? i come ta ya two? long time no hear?

VertRef !  I'm over here !!  Obviously not at the same time as most of you.  Playing midnight owl lately!  Read this topic over a couple times, and where the man himself says "better still, what if he's your ops manager someday" yup, I've seen that actually happen and believe me, it wasn't pretty.  Anyhow, I don't need to add my two cents here, my comrades did a fine job already!

Vert, we'll have to pull our watches out before we get emochun,emotinchaul, emochinal  ah chitte!  before we make fools of ourselves! 9.gif9.gif

CTD ---- your slouching is a result of flying too many non-adjustable seats in Bell products. This contributes to to pilots slouching over like they''re a dog f**king a football.

You''ll also find out that other things get shorter as you get even older and there ain''t a dang thing you can do about it. It''s similar to other things in aviation....if you don''t use it, you loose it.

Vertical Ref.

I think, if you could check, that you would find that all those "experienced, time padding, idiot pilots" that you seem to be so vexed about now were the newbies that flew for free twenty years ago.

Hey VRef - thanks for the kind word, Dude. And you''re right, the 324.7 hours in my book is REAL time.   As for your thoughts on ego, the pilots for whom I have the most respect, and the ones that I look up to for their skill and professionalism, are also the most humble.

I know that many of these guys (maxi-pads) exist, and they think that their fluffed-up logbooks make increase their level of stature and respect, but what they don''t realize is that the exact opposite is true. They are invariably mocked behind their backs, and have done themselves and their careers irreparable harm. 

I know one guy who started flying the same time I did. Where I worked, we usually flew around 750 - 800 hrs/yr, and his outfit did around 400. Years later, when we were hiring for Voisey Bay, his resume crossed my desk with over 10,000 hours on it. I had somewhere around 5500 at the time. What this guy doesn''t realize, is that he will never move beyond where he is now, as his deceit is legendary, and the source of much beer talk. By now he likely has 20,000, and I hope he enjoys them.

Another guy in the same vein - sent his resume with 4000 hours on it to a ''company'', even though those that know him figured he had 2000 tops. He was hired, and flew 16 years of approx 300 hrs/yr. His resume now exceeds 18,000, when the most he can have is 7-8.

324.7, ya right, you don''t have a minute over 250. I suppose you logged all that time at Bell when you were actually "tied" to the ground.

Back home now and DQ says hi btw, ran outa noodles on Friday

Let me clarify what i mean here. By "padding" time i mean giving  the customer a flight report with less than the actual flight time flown for the day...giving him a "deal", ensurng the pilots job security and a "call back"

"padding" time by flying the "bic" is a different lot altogether. yes, more hours on paper than actual in the cockpit.

The first guy is an idiot to deal with, the second, a simple check ride is the jury...

...your logbook tells everyone how good you should be, not how good you actually are...

personal logbooks dont mean crap!!!

reddog - you could be right. but the professional should know better!!!