Icefield Helicopter Tours

Guest sharky

CTD:

You are in an excellent position to reeducate the troops and put some semblence of truth in the "logged time " missconception.

Logged time or hours flown is arguably the least accurate measure of a pilots flying skills and thought process in regards to flight safety and aircraft handling proceedures with regard to the mechanical longevity of the machine. ( jeeses that is a long sentence )

What we need is a well thought out and written reminder of this subject in the TC rag that I believe you have some imput into.

Hours flown can vary wildly as far as the learning curve is concerned, for instance 100 hours of Southern Ontario tobacco field Ag. work is a far different scenario than 100 hours at 410 watching the computer fly your AC.

But what truly puzzels me is the dichotomy that exists within the industry that does not seem to connect the safety factor to the usery of people such as pilots and engineers who operate very expensive equipment.

In other words would it not stand to reason that people working as slaves would not be motivated to give their best?

Thus a safety risk....

But then again I am just another pilot/ mechanic so by default not to bright.

Chas W.. ( Reverend )

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone that tells you he haven''t padded thier time is lieing. When you first start in this crazy business you do what every you have to get into the door. The real thing counts in the cocpit. When I did my first check ride, I told them I had 135.0hrs, but really I had only 65.0 hrs. What got me the job was that I could handle the machine. So do what ever you have to do!

VRef said "...your logbook tells everyone how good you should be, not how good you actually are...". Is that sweet or what....? Brilliant.

Chas - couldn''t agree more and have been saying the same thing for years. Why don''t you write me a letter to the editor stating your case?

canook - I must disagree, at least in my case. As VRef said so eloquently, I was always afraid that if I had 100 hrs and said I had 500, someone would expect me to fly like I had it.

Vert-Ref: I learned something new, first time I heard of giving a customer a break on time to be assured of a call back.

In my personal opinion if a helicopter pilot has reached 3K without killing himself the rest is time in.

Depending on what a pilot is actually doing or employed at says alot to his experience at that job. Any pilot who is replacing a pilot on a particular contract that the replacement pilot has not flown before should get a complete briefing as to what is expected of him even if he has done it all, including having 10k experience. The pilot he is replacing might only have 2K, but he has more experience on that particular contract.

When I had the job of ops mgr, I would never put a low time pilot on a base, because he didn''t have enough exposure to different situations and would probably get into a situation that he couldn''t handle.

Low time pilots should only be sent on jobs that they can handle with confidence and that way the customer does not have to know and the pilot builds up experience.

Any company that send out a pilot to do a job with there fingers crossed, need thier head read.

Most accidents are caused by pilots exceeding thier own capabilities or the aircraft''s.

Have any unemployed pilots approached Human Resources Canada with the help of there local MP and tried to get additional funding allocated to companies that will hire low time pilots to gain experience.

It has been done before. A person that has invested 40-50k in a CPL is not just playing around and should get some kind of a break.

Possibly the H-A-C can have some input along with ATAC.

Blackie...happens quite a bit in production flying. Someone always wants to be the best. Why do you think clients put multiple companies on job sites. Not only does the client get the best rate but the most efficient one as well!!!

Your on a fire, getting a little long in the tooth, little under the weather, little tired too. You keep getting lapped in the circuit. Your doing just as much flying as everyone else but half the work, hmmmm, clients notice this kind of thing!

There are production jobs that are run by the stop watch!!!

So let me get this straight, we lie and add hours, then when we have them, we lie again and subtract. roll eyes...roll eyes...rolleyes...

This is the procedure? .Guess the first pilots must have been lawyers too? no?

So my point being, slagging a 100 hr guy who is trying to get going, what is worse? Or the guy who has been doing it for decades cutting time to look good? Again, I have more respect for the lowtimer...

I not to sure you are right saying that you should not put a low time pilot on a base that has all high time pilots. I found when I was coming up the rakes that I looked forward to work with high time pilots. A person with the right frame of mind can learn alot from the old guys.(I sure did)

The line I heard the most is "don''t ever try to fly like a high timer, fly at your own level and you will live longer"

I guessed it worked so far, I''m still here and hitting 9500.0 hrs.

Guest CHEVY II

canook...I must also disagree with you.

I was told to pad my book a couple of times by pilots senior to me, I chose not to. Might also be the reason why it took so long to get where I''m now...just figured the check ride would tell all. It worked out anyway...was much better being the 100hr that flew like a 500hr than being the 1000hr that presented himself as 500hr.

Now...show me the $$$ !

CTD:

I would be more than pleased to help you out even if it means writing something...

But there are several little problems that always seem to derail me, one is I am a pilot and by nature a procrastinator and sometimes down right lazy. Then there is the mechanic side of my chamleon like make up that is creative, hard working and constructive.

Here is a suggestion, why don''t one of you guys that write the safety letters either fixed or rotary wing phone me some day and tape our conversation. I still want to share the f..k up that ruined my fifty year safety record.

If you phone me that will get the process going and then I can dig out the pictures of that machine blocking the runway in France and share my sad tale with the industry.

Don''t worry about the cost of the phone call because your superiors are spending tens of thousands in our little "problem" that I have with the management level of TC.

But hey, you are the good guys and until the protect their own culture that pervails in the good old boys club that is upper management in TC gets the political will to clean up their act I must support the good side of TC.

Tomorrow at 10 AM I meet for the last time outside of court with the acting Director General Pacific Region Transport Canada.

Regardless of his position with regard to my complaint this time will be different.

There will be no more covering up or stonewalling and what in my opinion is amoral disregard for the rights of Transport Canadas, as they like to call us "customers".

This time all the names of the people that have been involved in the handling of the going on three year struggle I have had with TC will be public information.

The time has come for me to lay everything out in the open, no more high level civil servants beavering away in their offices out of sight of the public making decisions that ruin peoples lives, just to protect their own.

Even if I have to go to prison it will be worth exposing the whole sorry mess.

Meanwhile you can rest assured that for me nothing changes, I still believe in my chosen career and admire those who deserve admiration..

Chuck Ellsworth