Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Icefield Helicopter Tours

Guest sharky

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Canook; my reference to a base was not to allow a lowtime''er to be put in a situation he could not handle.

i.e. I was the only person on a base and was sent a low time pilot to give me a hand with some of the flying. I did not have time to train him and or control what job to give him, so I sent him back.

Most low time pilots do not have the exposure (experience) to know that they are not yet capable of doing certain jobs. Most pilots having gained 5 hundred to a thousand hours will usually look back and wonder why they were so lucky to have made this far without any major mishaps.

Most base jobs with a minimum of two pilots can be called upon to do anything that the helicopter is capable of doing. That is why I said experience counts.

IF YOU ARE PROVIDING CUSTOMER SERVICE, THE CUSTOMER IS PAYING FOR A HELICOPTER THAT IS CAPABLE OF BEING USED TO ITS MAXIMUM CAPABILITIES, INCLUDING PILOT.

Canook pilot----- you start lieing in your logbook and you better be able to back it up, should the day of bending, ripping and tearing metal come to visit you. First they sue companies and then they come to your door. You got that far and it didn''t happen to you, then wipe your brow for the luck, but don''t suggest it to the ''starters'' please. Any ''old timer'' out there that would suggest that to a ''newbie'' needs an operation to remove someone''s foot from his rectum.

I got that ego ''thing'' taken out of me, hard and fast, eons ago. So if someone is faster, can lift more and the client doesn''t want me, then I''ll leave. I go out, do my best, work within the capibilities of the a/c, try to keep the client happy and the engineer smiling. Some other ''hot dog'' wants to play ''Joe Dynamic, hero of the bush'' with me and he''ll find that ''I don''t dance''. I don''t get ''run off'' much either.

Somebody wants to work for nothing, then I consider that their business. They''re the person with the empty wallet, not me. I don''t know their personal affairs so I can''t sit in judgement. You do what you have to do to survive in this world. Padding the logbook ----do so, but first do yourself a favour and find out what you are leaving yourself open for legally, should that accident happen.

Canook Pilot ---- 40 hours doesn't mean 'diddley'. I'd suggest that there would be more hours than that padded and that is where the 'newbie' goes in harm's way. Your 40 hours isn't what I was alluding to. Nobody can tell the difference between a 200 hour pilot and a 240 hour pilot. They may not even be able to tell the difference between the 400 hour and the 1000 hour pilot. Should such be the case and there's an accident, lawyers can make sure that 2 of every 3 cents that pilot earns for the rest of his life, are used to pay that lawsuit. All I'm advising is that before some new pilot does so, they better sit down and think about it for a while. We live in the day of lawsuits for any reason and we ALL have to conduct ourselves differently than years ago.

Downwash:

The meeting lasted all day.

I have always been of the beliefe that truth will always win.

Finally I am satisfied that my life long belief in the rule of law and the structure of Transport Canada will in the end guarantee that we all on both sides of the coin us and TC can gain a fair resolution if we first have a legitimate complaint and refuse to be dismissed and second do not quit until it is resolved by the simple method of getting to the truth.

The monster that is Transport Canada can be difficult to penetrate deep enough to get to the truth but it can be done.

Yesterday has given me the assurance this will be resolved fairly for all concerned.

And it will not be in secret.

So that is as much as I will divulge at this point in time.

The very reverend Chas W....Retired Merc..

All Involved

I just recently read all of the idiocracy in this forum and can''t believe believe it!!! I''m a low time pilot, and have been looking for a job for several years. Rather than taking all that is written here at face value, I decided to call Icefield Helicopter Tours and find out the goods myself.

When I called, I ended up talking to a guy who is now there for his third season and has managed to acquire 350 hours. Throughout the conversation I couldn''t help, but to get the impression that he is very happy there and has had nothing other than positive experiences.

Now on to my findings

1) When you start, you do volunteer.

2) Meals and accomodation are paid for.

3) You do pay for your own initail training and PPC, but NOT at charter rates.

4) If your work ethic warrants, you fly within the first year. If not you look for another job.

5) You are paid $25/flt. hr.

6) If you return the second year, you are still paid $25/hr and are guaranteed 2 hrs/day.

After looking for 3 years and finding nothing other than the proverbial "Thanks for stopping in, good luck and hang in there!!!", I''m jumping in my car tomorrow to go check this place out. Any lowtimer who isn''t willing roll the dice in this situation has rocks in his head. What else is out there? Not a F#%&ING thing!!! Maybe the odd guy can find something like mixing chemicals for a spray crew (I have two friends who took this rout) and MAYBEE you will get a chance to be the ONE of EIGHT on the crew to be chosen to fly the next year. GOOD LUCK SUCKER!!!

As for the Vaseline, or how ever the **** you spell it, don''t fool yourself. You started bending foreward for some soft slow lubricated penitration when you stroked your first cheque to your flight training school. Those guys paint the rosy picture for all who have 40 grand at their disposal. These guys are endorsed to print money.

Sharkey and Puddle Jumper are so wrapped up in at least making minumum wage for their efforts that they lost sight of the cash they already invested. Puddle Jumper has been "rewarded" for his hard work with a coupel of hours of flying, I''d call this VOLUNTEER work.

Now for the high time guys out there. I''m sure someone out there is a CP or Ops Manager. I''d like to know how many low timers you or your company has hired lately, and how much flying they get. Likely the answer is 0 and 0.

Good Luck All!!!